Differently colored B. albopilosum??

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
At Petco I saw a tarantula labeled as "Curly hair tarantula". It triggered me that the substrate was kept damp and loose, and they didn't even bother with a hide. I assumed it was a B. albo bc of the curly setae, but her coloration seemed abnormal, almost like an A. chalcodes. Does this mean that the T was dehydrated?

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
No, dehydration does not cause discoloration. And I doubt it would be very dehydrated being kept on damp substrate. A shriveled abdomen would indicate dehydration. Did you get photos of the tarantula?

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
No, dehydration does not cause discoloration. And I doubt it would be very dehydrated being kept on damp substrate. A shriveled abdomen would indicate dehydration. Did you get photos of the tarantula?
Ah, I see. I didn't get any photos of it unfortunately :(

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Last edited by a moderator:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
No way to tell without pictures, but I remember a thread where someone got a G. pulchra at Petco that was labeled as a "black rose hair" so I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at something completely different.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Might be a different species, get a pic sometimes it’s s steal if price is low. My local pet stores no longer keep Ts . Which is good for the health of the spiders. Tho they are still being wild caught decimating wild numbers, at some point common species could go extinct.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Hobby/Honduran form? They're more brown/copper compared to the Black/silver Nicaraguan form.

Also, B. albopilosum like things slightly moist, it's a common misconception that they should be kept dry like other Brachys.

View media item 48912

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hobby/Honduran form? They're more brown/copper compared to the Black/silver Nicaraguan form.

Also, B. albopilosum like things slightly moist, it's a common misconception that they should be kept dry like other Brachys.

View media item 48912
I’m hoping I get a female this time every curly so far was male. Cool they like it not so dry ?

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon

View media item 48912
Ah, I see. The one you pictured looks much like the one I have, but the main difference about the one at the pet store is that it was very, very light colored. Think of an A. chalcodes with curly setae.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
WOULD be a steal at curly price , I’ve never been able to find N tripepi. I got other 3 common hobby nhando. I can’t even go near new world substrate without gloves I break out allergic. Probably going to add mostly old worlds.

Last edited:

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
In that same shop there were 2 Avicularia avicularia kept in the same enclosure, kinda ticked me off :(