1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differently colored B. albopilosum??

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ChanTheMan, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ChanTheMan

ChanTheMan Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    At Petco I saw a tarantula labeled as "Curly hair tarantula". It triggered me that the substrate was kept damp and loose, and they didn't even bother with a hide. I assumed it was a B. albo bc of the curly setae, but her coloration seemed abnormal, almost like an A. chalcodes. Does this mean that the T was dehydrated?

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    No, dehydration does not cause discoloration. And I doubt it would be very dehydrated being kept on damp substrate. A shriveled abdomen would indicate dehydration. Did you get photos of the tarantula?

3. ChanTheMan

ChanTheMan Arachnopeon

Ah, I see. I didn't get any photos of it unfortunately :(

4. Theneil

Theneil Arachnolord Active Member

USA
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    No way to tell without pictures, but I remember a thread where someone got a G. pulchra at Petco that was labeled as a "black rose hair" so I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at something completely different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Might be a different species, get a pic sometimes it’s s steal if price is low. My local pet stores no longer keep Ts . Which is good for the health of the spiders. Tho they are still being wild caught decimating wild numbers, at some point common species could go extinct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Hobby/Honduran form? They're more brown/copper compared to the Black/silver Nicaraguan form.

Also, B. albopilosum like things slightly moist, it's a common misconception that they should be kept dry like other Brachys.

8. Ultum4Spiderz

I’m hoping I get a female this time every curly so far was male. Cool they like it not so dry ?

9. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, albopilosum and vagans do best on slightly moist sub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChanTheMan

ChanTheMan Arachnopeon

Ah, I see. The one you pictured looks much like the one I have, but the main difference about the one at the pet store is that it was very, very light colored. Think of an A. chalcodes with curly setae.

11. The Grym Reaper

Mislabelled N. tripepii?

12. ChanTheMan

ChanTheMan Arachnopeon

Huh, that might actually be the case. :hilarious:

13. Ultum4Spiderz

WOULD be a steal at curly price , I’ve never been able to find N tripepi. I got other 3 common hobby nhando. I can’t even go near new world substrate without gloves I break out allergic. Probably going to add mostly old worlds.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  14. ChanTheMan

ChanTheMan Arachnopeon

In that same shop there were 2 Avicularia avicularia kept in the same enclosure, kinda ticked me off :(

• Sad Sad x 1