Differences between Damon species?

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I have seen Damon diadema, D. medius, and D. variegatus for sale. Which species reaches the largest adult size in terms of both body size and leg span?

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I believe medius is the largest. I be hesitant of any D. variegatus since those look so similar to diadema.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Specimen in hand is best, but if you look at photos you'll see that D. medius is much more grey.

aphono

Arachnobaron
How can one differentiate D. medius and D. diadema?
The easiest difference to note is the pattern on their legs. diadema have three bands going all the way across the legs. medius usually have two or one more like large spots rather than bands.

A very high percentage of large juvenile or adult specimens on the market are D. medius despite what the label says. Available D. diadema usually are sold as little babies by private individuals rather than at pet stores. Impossible to find available large juvenile or adult diademas. Conversely, it is hard to find baby medius, but they are starting to show up as captive bred stock from WC parents. Broad but decent guide right now, basically. Bought a large "Tanzanian tailless whip spider"? Better to assume it's a medius anyways.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the quick responses. Based on what I read above, I am guessing adult female is D. medius, correct?
image.jpeg

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
Here's a pic of my Damon medius in all its cuteness with the two bands on the legs clearly visible....Amblypygi really are awesome

DSC01887.JPG