Difference species flirting??

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My MM P. rufilata is constantly tapping all night long every night. His enclosure was, for a while, with the rest of my pokies:

IMG_6260.PNG
(Above: light blue = sub adult pokies, green = the two female pokies he had originally been inbetween - the one on the left is a AF P. striata, the one on the right is a subadult female fasciata.

But then he developed a crush on my AF striata and I figured it was stressful for both parties so I so we moved him to a different shelf:

IMG_6257.PNG
(Above: green = AF new world terrestrials, purple = my tappity MM rufilata, orange = AF OBT, dark blue = MM Psalmops, light blue = AF N. incei)

As reference, the is how our shelves are set up:

IMG_6261.JPG

Well he still taps like a maniac... could it be that he could still sense the AF striata? Or is he flirting w the AF OBT possibly? Maybe picking up the lady scents from below? Just curious....?

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It definitely happens. I have a MM Haplopelma sp. beside a MF A. seemanni, and ironically the seemanni is constantly tapping. The MM taps occasionally, but he's approaching his expiration day.

Off topic, but do you have any info on those shelving units? They look great.

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My MM P. rufilata is constantly tapping all night long every night. His enclosure was, for a while, with the rest of my pokies:

View attachment 246773
(Above: light blue = sub adult pokies, green = the two female pokies he had originally been inbetween - the one on the left is a AF P. striata, the one on the right is a subadult female fasciata.

But then he developed a crush on my AF striata and I figured it was stressful for both parties so I so we moved him to a different shelf:

View attachment 246774
(Above: green = AF new world terrestrials, purple = my tappity MM rufilata, orange = AF OBT, dark blue = MM Psalmops, light blue = AF N. incei)

As reference, the is how our shelves are set up:

View attachment 246776

Well he still taps like a maniac... could it be that he could still sense the AF striata? Or is he flirting w the AF OBT possibly? Maybe picking up the lady scents from below?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Many species tap in similar fashion.

Its not rare for completely different species to court. There really is no harm in it if you plan to pair them anyway

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It definitely happens. I have a MM Haplopelma sp. beside a MF A. seemanni, and ironically the seemanni is constantly tapping. The MM taps occasionally, but he's approaching his expiration day.
Oh wow. Well then he's F'ed either way I suppose. He most def cannot have any sexy time with the OBT lol that would be an atrocity! I do like the tapping noises and it like lulls me to sleep st night lol so at least one of the two of us is getting some benefit... lol - but honestly I do feel bad tho... poor horny old man lol ...I wonder if one if the females is responding too bc I heard two diff sounding taps last night - one that was swift tinkling clearly on glass and the other sounded slower and deeper.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
We've even had some fun times tapping with our fingers and having spiders respond.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Many species tap in similar fashion.

Its not rare for completely different species to court. There really is no harm in it if you plan to pair them anyway
I don't think genetics would allow me to pair them ... :cyclops:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Dont get me wrong. I didnt mean pair with each other. I mean pair with their selerate species eventually. For the record I am completely against crossbreeding

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dont get me wrong. I didnt mean pair with each other. I mean pair with their selerate species eventually. For the record I am completely against crossbreeding
Most of us I believe are too - let's not open that can of worms please, those threads never end well and I didn't make this thread to have people at each other's throats 13 pages later.....

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Most of us I believe are too - let's not open that can of worms please, those threads never end well and I didn't make this thread to have people at each other's throats 13 pages later.....
I think you completely missed my point

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Over the years here many have reported this type of behavior, not uncommon. The real problem though is the owners who deprive their beloved MMs of sex. It's a travesty really.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Over the years here many have reported this type of behavior, not uncommon. The real problem though is the owners who deprive their beloved MMs of sex. It's a travesty really.
Hahaha, who's carrying the wooden spoon now?? *stir stir stir*

awiec

Arachnoprince
My MM T.gigas taps at the female he mated with (twice) and my female P.metallica, both females have shown a response but he has and will only mate with one of them.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm sure that there are differences between the drumming of different species but they aren't discernible to me. Can anyone actually tell the difference?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have 3 mature female poecs on one shelf and they have all tap for the MM poec on another one across the room.