difference between two very similar species of t's...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, you mean something like America with its imperial units? Yeah i guess you have a point there
Not exactly, no. We use a different standard as you know, unfortunately. I meant exactly what I wrote above as the example. Where the same word means 2 different things. Imagine if species meant different things to different scientists etc

In your example, a kilogram vs a pound are 2 different units in my mind.

Trust me, I wish we were using metric.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Not exactly, no. We use a different standard as you know, unfortunately. I meant exactly what I wrote above as the example.
i meant as metric vs imperial, where there's 2 standards and it is confusing transferring from one to another(at least to me)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i meant as metric vs imperial, where there's 2 standards and it is confusing transferring from one to another(at least to me)
Ohhh...in that case YES hahaa

I hate the system we use. I use the metric system, it's so much easier, esp for measuring distance and volume. I hate measuring 2 3/16"...I have no idea how long they are, but 24mm is much easier!

I'm going to have my EU friend send me a metric tape measure. So far I've only found tape measures in the USA that have both metric and our standard units simultaneously.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ohhh...in that case YES hahaa

I hate the system we use. I use the metric system, it's so much easier, esp for measuring distance and volume. I hate measuring 2 3/16"...I have no idea how long they are, but 24mm is much easier!

I'm going to have my EU friend send me a metric tape measure. So far I've only found tape measures in the USA that have both metric and our standard units simultaneously.
But measuring in base 8 makes so much more sense :shifty: Seriously, how did that even catch on? Dividing by 10 is such a natural thing to do for humans, I can't imagine how base 8 was even considered.

Although, we are talking about spiders, so... maybe base 8 is the way to go.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
... I mean, I didn't think it mattered in the forum. I was under the impression that the common names would be as the name says, more commonly used.
No. Common names are cesspools of the --er common owner
Yes, I'm turning into an elitist:cigar:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But measuring in base 8 makes so much more sense :shifty: Seriously, how did that even catch on? Dividing by 10 is such a natural thing to do for humans, I can't imagine how base 8 was even considered.

Although, we are talking about spiders, so... maybe base 8 is the way to go.
Not sure how it did, but IF Wikipedia is accurate on the subject, a native american tribe didn't count their fingers, but the spaces between.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Not sure how it did, but IF Wikipedia is accurate on the subject, a native american tribe didn't count their fingers, but the spaces between.
wait, didn't imperial units originated from great britain and passed on to american settlers? i always had that impression since UK uses both metric and imperials

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wait, didn't imperial units originated from great britain and passed on to american settlers? i always had that impression since UK uses both metric and imperials
Yes.

I was referring to EulersK comment, hence my quote above my statement you quoted ;)

theriumbra

Arachnopeon
Let me bump this thread with a very clear note: Instead of explaining everything else, why not actually explain how to differentiate the three different species? It's very straightforeward.

Sabulosum:
You can know its a Sabulosum via bla bla bla...

Vagans:
You can know its a Vagans via bla bla bla...

and so on. How old is this thread now since I've made it? I've made similar threads elsewhere too (especially on many (5) facebook pages) and asked owners literally everywhere (on facebook, on here, and 4 (I think) other websites) and never got 1 answer! It's genuinely infuriating and turns me off from this hobby by a heckuva lot! and this comes from a person that's normally super calm!

I just want some help. that's it.

No. Common names are cesspools of the --er common owner
Yes, I'm turning into an elitist:cigar:
well, to me both names are important. experienced keepers know all the names of a specie. common, interest keepers, they use only common names. Sub-professionals use only latin names, since they know common names are off from place to place and so on.

I'm no longer a common keeper. Now I try my best to know both the latin names and the common names, and the features of why they even got those names, if I can, kinda like carnivorous plants. common names, latin names, why they got those names (both latin and common) and by now I can care for those plants with my eyes closed.

I hope I can someday do the same with tarantulas... that's still far off in the future though, I have a LOOOOTTT To learn.

Yup, that was my turn to be an elitist :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, to me both names are important. experienced keepers know all the names of a specie. common, interest keepers, they use only common names. Sub-professionals use only latin names, since they know common names are off from place to place and so on.

I'm no longer a common keeper. Now I try my best to know both the latin names and the common names, and the features of why they even got those names, if I can, kinda like carnivorous plants. common names, latin names, why they got those names (both latin and common) and by now I can care for those plants with my eyes closed.

I hope I can someday do the same with tarantulas... that's still far off in the future though, I have a LOOOOTTT To learn.

common names suck because they can apply to more than one species. there is almost zero reason to ever bother with common names once youve learned the scientific ones.
also, vagans have a jet black carapace, if that helps. hybrids are a annoyance for everyone. :(

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Common names are terrible in the sense that one name can mean 5 different species depending upon one's opinion of how a T looks. The name Mexican Red Knee is a perfect example. I can't even tell you which species that belongs to anymore. I think smithi hah.

If you use common names you could have a discussion with someone and be speaking about 2 different Ts.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I would never pretend to know the difference between B. vagans and B. sabulosum I can tell you this much. I purchased what was supposed to be 6 of each last March. When I received them they were all about the same size and now the ones labeled as B. sabulosum are all at least twice the size as the one labeled B. vagans. They have been kept side by side in the exact same way with no differential care so I am convinced that I have two separate species. Which species those are I couldn't say. Just my 2 cents.

cold blood

Staff member
The guatemalan redrump is brachypela sabulosum. The normal mexican redrump is brachypelma vegans.

I already have the b.sabulosum and I was just curious about what the difference is between them, visually instead of their origin, lol :D and yeah, common names are too... vague lol
My sabulosum looks different. It lacks the bright red rump for starters, now it has red hairs on the rump, but theyre not nearly as prominent as on the vagans I keep. I also notice the sabu to be hairier with a carapace that isn't as dark.

My sabulosum is pretty skittish, so I don't get opportunities to photograph him or I would post comparison pics.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While I understand that all of the forms available are hobby forms, are we saying no scientist has EVER took pictures of something in the wild and confirmed that it was the valid species? While I can understand there is no way for us to confirm what we buy is pure, it seems like descriptions and pictures would be available to at least validate the hobby name.

Lets use these for the sake of discussion
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/468382-Brachypelma-sabulosum

http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/154884-Brachypelma-vagans

If someone buys a Brachypelma sabulosum and the carapace looks more like the Brachypelma vagans wouldn't that still tell you something with regard to a label being wrong for what you bought?

Is there any danger on husbandry for a wrong identification? I only own what is being called a B. vagans in sling form.

EDIT* Nothing like jumping into a discussion months later to only go oops! I am a little behind on the conversation.

Last edited:

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay i know that this thread is a year old now but i just came across it. Look at the B.sabulosum's rear legs thats the main difference it has long red hairs compared to the B.vagans which lack as long of hairs and not red like sabulosum.

cold blood

Staff member
Okay i know that this thread is a year old now but i just came across it. Look at the B.sabulosum's rear legs thats the main difference it has long red hairs compared to the B.vagans which lack as long of hairs and not red like sabulosum.
There's lots of differences.

Fact is that if you think sabolosum and vagans look the same, you are either color blind or not paying attention....

sabolosum.

vagans.