1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my tarantula just move her terrarium's moss?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by SassyTheSpider, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Sassy's terrarium includes a hollow half-log with an opening and a large piece of moss at its end. One morning I woke up to the moss being several inches away from its usual place. Are tarantulas known to move things, because I have no idea how it was repositioned? The moss chunk is slightly larger than Sassy.

2. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes. That's probably what happened.

3. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnosquire Active Member

Kentucky
    I have a pretty good size piece of wood in my seemannis enclosure and it moved it from the corner to the middle. Unreal.

4. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

If a T can dig a 2 inch hole a foot deep in hard clay, I don't see moving the furniture about as a serious challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Active Member

Do you really think I would put the moss in the water dish??? :shifty:

20180721_redecorating.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Well, obviously that’s where it goes!!! Jeez oh man, aren’t you up to speed on Tarantula ‘Feng Shui’???? The moss must go into the water to bring light into the Garden of the Seven Suns!!!! :hilarious::wacky:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

I dunno, you strike me as a "moss in the water dish" kind of a person.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. StampFan

StampFan Arachnolord Active Member

Calgary
    While you're sleeping that spider is bulldozing around more than you think.

9. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

What species is your spider? I can't really make it out from your avatar...

10. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord Active Member

My terrestrials all tend to ruin anything I set up for them in time. Especially my albos, they will absolutely trash anything I give them that isn't nailed down :hilarious:

11. MBArachnids

MBArachnids Arachnosquire

Just on the topic of T's that mess up our "great" ideas.

My Chilobrachys sp. Cambodia Blue has the habit of digging under the water dish and then tunneling down, ensnaring the water dish with webs and basically using it as part of her tunneling system. I naturally decide to leave them there because she seems to fancy it.

I am now 7 water dishes down the line and my enclosure is looking like a water dish storage facility.

12. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Something for you T observers. The Haplopelma Minax, Thai blacks in our yard always leave the debris around their holes alone. They keep the entrance clear and that is about it.
    So is this unique to the genus/species, unique to our area, or a difference between wild in situ Ts and those in containments?

13. Sassy is an A. seemanni! Really docile and sweet

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

How long have you had him/her? He/she looks very 'leggy', did you buy him/her as a male or female? Could you post pictures of his/hers pedipalps?