Did my North American Giant millipede eat my other?

arachnoxious

arachnovelist
Arachnosupporter
Hey guys,

I just got home after a few days and I found one of my 2” bumblebee millipedes torn to pieces. Almost in different segments. I began digging around just to see if it was a molt or not. It defiantly is not a molt. I originally had two small 2” bumble bee millipedes and a 4” North American Giant millipede. When I left I had a good supply of food and water in the enclosure. The food I had left was still there and there was water in the dish. I also put decaying leaves and oak in the enclosure so despite, there should’ve been enough resources for all of them. I’m so concerned and distraught from this, I have never had a pet of mine die in this way or from anything other than natural causes. Is it possible the Giant millipede ate the smaller bumble bee millipede? Or perhaps my bumble bee had trouble molting and died anyways and then the Giant millipede tore it apart after it died? I cannot believe this happened and am quite upset, as I feel I have done everything right and have taken care of them with great responsibility. Any answers or suggestions to what has happened would help.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
This sounds really grim, and startling. Real sorry to hear this happened :-( Could it be possible you have a lurking predator buried in the enclosure (centipede or such?)? Do you keep isopods with your millipedes? Also it occurs to me that, once millipedes die, like from a tragic molt, they decompose quickly. It could be that your Bumblebee died and its remains were spread around the enclosure simply by being trampled over by the Narceus? Again, I'm sorry to hear about this sad event, it does sound like you are a conscientious keeper.

arachnoxious

arachnovelist
Arachnosupporter
Thank you for your apologies and especially for your response. I do not have any isopods in my tank and I could not find any other organisms in the enclosure besides the milli’s. I cleaned out the remains (which were scattered oddly about) and put new substrate to prevent anything that might’ve gotten left behind from getting mold or fungus. I feel like your explanation makes sense. My narceus americanus is a train and is always moving, perhaps after the fatal molt the remains got dragged along. I appreciate your response and for the caring words. My little bumble bee is at rest now and isn’t suffering, we had a good run :angelic:

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
So sorry to hear that! I feel for you! Such a sad story but a learning experience at that, at least the loss won’t go without educating :) Hope everything works out otherwise.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
The bumblebee millipede probably died on its own and was scavenged by the larger millipede, or depending on how long it was left there before you discovered it it could've just fallen apart on its own.