Diapheromera femorata ova care

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Has anyone incubated and hatched these before? I have 40-50 eggs and want to know what's worked. And yeah, I've heard the hatchlings are... difficult.

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
Carefully separate ova from droppings an place in a paper towel lined plastic container with a ventilated lid. Keep eggs at room temperature and lightly mist them once a week. In mid October put them in the bottom of a refridgerator and mist monthly. Make sure to periodically check the paper towel does not grow mold, if you see any mold clean the container and replace the paper towels. (note: If mold has formed the container might need more ventilation). Then take the eggs out of the fridge when the weather warms up and mist them about twice a week or whatever it takes to closely match the humidity outside. When the nymphs start to hatch you may need to bump up the humidity a little. And adding a little excelsior to the container can help them from getting stuck halfway. Important: after hatching the nymphs will need to drink within 24-48 hours or they will die. Also some nymphs are dumb enough to drown themselves in a single droplet of water so the finer the mistings the better.

Food plants are said to include oak, black locust, wild cherry and wild rose
I feed my nymphs and adults black oak. I also always cut the edge off a few of the leaves for the nymphs.

As soon as nymphs become adults separate them by sex. It is important to keep them in different enclosures as the males will mate the females to exhaustion/death.