1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dialated gonoslit

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by 14pokies, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM.

1. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    So I'm sitting here watching my P.rufilata court each other and I notice the females gonoslit is fairly dialated.. Is this something she can control?

For example- She knows her environment is right to produce off spring so she intentionally dialates to give him easier access, or is it physiological as in her instinct/her unconscious says make room for the emboli do to stimulus from the male?

Thoughts ,opinions, related links are all welcome and appreciated..

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Maybe it just has to do with her feeling sexually stimulated, horny in other words.

I agree that mating courtship is the most logical explanation, seeing as she is aware of the males presence and that she's preparing to breed with him. Interesting observation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 14pokies

I also noticed that her gonoslit would open wider and appear to protrude (I guess is the best word) when the male was close to her or drummed extremely ambitiously..

My main question is if she has any control over it.

4. Blue Jaye

Blue Jaye Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

I’ve seen this many times while pairing. I do believe the female has control over it. For instance, when the male is drumming and the female is interested or giggling I see the gonoslit protruding. But if the male spends to much time courting and the female looses interest I have seen it return to its normal looking slit and then she returns to her hide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. 14pokies

Awesome info thanks..

• Like Like x 1
  6. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

This is really interesting. I have not heard of this phenomenon before, but it sounds like it may be a good way to gauge if the female is receptive to a breeding attempt.

• Agree Agree x 2