Detritus worm info?

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
I don't know if this is in the right section, but this seemed to be the closest. I've been trying to find out information on detritus worms for behavior, life cycle, etc., but haven't been able to find any good sources of information. any suggestions?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you have a scientific name for them? It looks like members of the family Naididae?

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
nope I only know what family they're in (as you said above Naididae) and have been researching and trying to identify their species for a few weeks. all I have to go on is they were found in a creek in my backyard, caught in utah, and that they are light brown. I'm waiting for them to become adults to see if that will help.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know anything about them unfortunately, so I'd say try to keep them like where they were collected. There probably aren't a lot of people keeping these, so I'd say whatever you figure out is going to be pretty novel. Hopefully other AB members have experience with them or something similar so they can give some tips. Good luck!

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I've had detritus worms move into aquariums, where they're useful as a cleanup crew. That sort tends to be small species that stay in the substrate most of the time. They multiply on their own without any help needed. They'll eat whatever waste is going.

If you have a species that sticks their tails up into the water, you might want to look at guides to culturing Tubifex. They're also in that family and it might be that's what you have if they're acting that way.

All of these are hermaphrodites and lay eggs. The babies are just mini versions of the adults. Working out what they are down to species is difficult, but as they all have similar requirements, it shouldn't matter too much.

Last edited:

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
Some of them have grown big enough to properly identify now, but I can't find a good identification site or chart to use. Any suggestions?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Thank you this was very informative! Still no leads though...
Really? I doubt they aren't in there, though I suppose it's possible. Naididae are fairly poorly studied, as I understand it, but nevertheless, your chances of finding a new species at random are sort of slim.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
Really? I doubt they aren't in there, though I suppose it's possible. Naididae are fairly poorly studied, as I understand it, but nevertheless, your chances of finding a new species at random are sort of slim.
yeah I think I need to let them grow more