Design for Amblypygid Setup?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think you should try both setups and see which one is better.
I wouldn't risk putting feeders permanently in the setup because anything big enough to be a feeder might attack the amblypygid after a molt. Even if it meant a bit more convenience, it wouldn't be worth the risk. Meanwhile, I have tried putting a water dish in an amblypygid setup, and it was never touched, which I confirmed with people online.

Plus, my usual principle in raising any living thing is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Hey there, life got crazy for a bit and I'm only just catching up. I decided against getting whips, and am now leaning more towards roaches, beetles, or isopods. Not going to quote every single reply since I left, as I'm sure most people have forgotten about this thread and you were the only one to ask.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey there, life got crazy for a bit and I'm only just catching up. I decided against getting whips, and am now leaning more towards roaches, beetles, or isopods. Not going to quote every single reply since I left, as I'm sure most people have forgotten about this thread and you were the only one to ask.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
No problem, life can certainly get busy! Bummer on the whips, but roaches, beetles, or isopods make great pets too! Plus with the people here on AB I'm sure we'll have answers for whatever you're looking to get :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't risk putting feeders permanently in the setup because anything big enough to be a feeder might attack the amblypygid after a molt. Even if it meant a bit more convenience, it wouldn't be worth the risk. Meanwhile, I have tried putting a water dish in an amblypygid setup, and it was never touched, which I confirmed with people online.

Plus, my usual principle in raising any living thing is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Interestingly, I bought an adult Damon diadema years ago that had water as its substrate. Just water. The guy that sold it to me said he kept all of his like that and hadn't had any problems. While I can see the merits of always having high humidity, I didn't want to risk it and promptly swapped for cocofiber. I also didn't want the hassle of having to pick out constantly drowning feeders.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Interestingly, I bought an adult Damon diadema years ago that had water as its substrate. Just water. The guy that sold it to me said he kept all of his like that and hadn't had any problems. While I can see the merits of always having high humidity, I didn't want to risk it and promptly swapped for cocofiber. I also didn't want the hassle of having to pick out constantly drowning feeders.
I've seen amblypygi drink condensation, but never standing water (although even with the condensation it was hard to tell if they were drinking or just grooming). I know snakes will drink condensation and water on their scales but not standing water. I have heard theorized that it's because standing water is more likely to have disease in the wild.

I've also heard of amblypygi drowning in water bowls, though it was never clear if this was an actual occurrence or just a concern. Given that they're arboreal, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it could happen.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've seen amblypygi drink condensation, but never standing water (although even with the condensation it was hard to tell if they were drinking or just grooming). I know snakes will drink condensation and water on their scales but not standing water. I have heard theorized that it's because standing water is more likely to have disease in the wild.

I've also heard of amblypygi drowning in water bowls, though it was never clear if this was an actual occurrence or just a concern. Given that they're arboreal, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it could happen.
I never saw it drink from the pool below, so I assumed it wasn't actually a huge fan of it. Even when a feeder fell in and swam back to the bark the ambly never did anything about it and stayed fairly high up on the bark until the feeder crawled up.

I've heard the same, but I think to an extent it depends on species. An arboreal species in a drier habitat would probably have a harder time with standing water and could certainly drown in it. Isn't there a species or two that have been documented in "flood zones" of estuaries and can be found clinging to vegetation while being submerged? I suppose that's different than slipping and falling in though. Regardless, I'd be very nervous to use water as my substrate for just about anything.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Can't remember if I ever saw Damon diadema drink from standing water. All I remember were off water droplets right after misting.

As for the D. medius (WC adults), have seen them drink from standing water a few times. Both by dipping?scooping? pedipalp tips in the water then bringing to mouth or starting with that then going down to drink directly.. at least the chelicerae were touching the water. Most of those were within weeks after bringing them home so they probably were dehydrated quite a bit. Have not seen them make use of the water dish for several months by now.

One of the (small juvenile)diademas was found upside down & nearly dead in water dish, even though it was only around 1/4" deep or a little more. It died later that night, despite efforts to dry it off. No idea what happened but it put me off having a water dish with them.