Desert Type cactus inside B. Hamori's enclosure?

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
Hello! Just recently thought about setting up a new enclosure for my semi adult mexican red knee in a 16"x19" tank. Just wondering, is placing an indoor cactus plant inside the tarantula's enclodure would be dangerous for the tarantula? ( Although this type of cactus have soft toothbrush like bristles as its needles)

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
Not good for the cactus - in contrast to tarantulas they need a lot of light. That cactus already looks like it didn't get enough in quite a while - it's supposed to be round, but it grows long shoots desperately trying to get more light.

ShockWave

Arachnopeon
Not dangerous but also not beneficial except in terms of aesthetics.

Personally I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I think you can find an equally pleasing artificial plant.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Not dangerous but also not beneficial except in terms of aesthetics.

Personally I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I think you can find an equally pleasing artificial plant.
My thoughts exactly, an artificial cactus would look just as nice and you wouldn't have to worry about keeping it alive in addition to caring for your T.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That cactus already looks like it didn't get enough in quite a while - it's supposed to be round, but it grows long shoots desperately trying to get more light.
Yes, highly etiolated. Not good, and I'm sure won't improve while being planted in a tarantula enclosure (which obviously shouldn't have lots of direct sunlight). It's going to end up even more strung out and unhealthy. OP, I think balancing the water, drainage, and sunlight needs of a cactus with your spider's needs might be difficult. I'd go with artificial plants for that reason moreso than any physical danger from the spines.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I see, plastic plants it is then. Thank your for your insights everyone!
it's for the best, the cats didn't look like a safety hazard but there are risk to putting live plants in with Ts. also double maintenance different care.