Desert millipede temps?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
So i ordered a orthoporus desert millipede recently. I want to keep it outside because I live in florida and the temps can get between 70-85 or even go as high as 90. It also gets pretty humid. My question is, will it be safe to keep a desert millipede in these temps? Will it be able to handle the higher temperatures?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep it outside in what? Where? If it is outside in an area with sun exposure, and is in a glass or plastic enclosure, it will get substantially hotter than the ambient temperature - essentially cooking your millipede. Also, while desert millipedes live in areas that regularly get into the 90's and 100's on summer afternoons, they also have the ability to dig down into the ground where it is relatively cool and moist, escaping the worst of the heat and the dryness that can go with it, then emerging at night when it cools down. In an enclosure, this will not be an option as they are limited to the substrate depth in the cage - which will not be cool and moist like under the actual ground.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
It isn’t recommended to keep them outside but generally speaking, if you keep them inside, if you’re comfortable they are.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Keep it outside in what? Where? If it is outside in an area with sun exposure, and is in a glass or plastic enclosure, it will get substantially hotter than the ambient temperature - essentially cooking your millipede. Also, while desert millipedes live in areas that regularly get into the 90's and 100's on summer afternoons, they also have the ability to dig down into the ground where it is relatively cool and moist, escaping the worst of the heat and the dryness that can go with it, then emerging at night when it cools down. In an enclosure, this will not be an option as they are limited to the substrate depth in the cage - which will not be cool and moist like under the actual ground.
I have an enclosed patio and would keep it in plastic encloser in the shade and out of direct sunlight. Keeping it inside the house isnt an option sadly, as I have family members who can't really deal with bugs and dont want it inside. Since plastic or glass enclosures don't seem to be a safe option, are there any different type cages that might work?

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I have an enclosed patio and would keep it in plastic encloser in the shade and out of direct sunlight. Keeping it inside the house isnt an option sadly, as I have family members who can't really deal with bugs and dont want it inside. Since plastic or glass enclosures don't seem to be a safe option, are there any different type cages that might work?
Not that I know of, I highly encourage you to talk to your family member about keeping them in the house. Orthoporus are completely harmless, no millipedes really bite and if they do it's a soft pinch, and they have absolutely no sort of venom or anything. not to mention the fact that if you have a locking lid, they aren't getting out. If you can't convince them I'm not sure what to tell you. It will be very difficult to keep them alive outside really no matter what you keep them in. sorry man.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Not that I know of, I highly encourage you to talk to your family member about keeping them in the house. Orthoporus are completely harmless, no millipedes really bite and if they do it's a soft pinch, and they have absolutely no sort of venom or anything. not to mention the fact that if you have a locking lid, they aren't getting out. If you can't convince them I'm not sure what to tell you. It will be very difficult to keep them alive outside really no matter what you keep them in. sorry man.
Aw man. I'll have to try my best then. I've tried convincing them but its still not an option. I have experience keeping my mantis outside in the same area and its doing well, but I know that millipedes are different from mantids and need different things.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Aw man. I'll have to try my best then. I've tried convincing them but its still not an option. I have experience keeping my mantis outside in the same area and its doing well, but I know that millipedes are different from mantids and need different things.
Good luck man.