Desert Hairy substrate question

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read the thread on enclosures, and have set up a 5 gal Kritter Keeper for a Haddie I'm getting in a few days. Mixed 10% small aquarium gravel, 10% peat, 10% bentonite, 70% aquarium sand together. Rinsed all but the peat. Poured it in the tank and am letting it dry on an angle for a sloped effect. Question: As it's drying it seems like it's getting pretty hard, so do I break/stir it up? I can't imagine a scorp being able to dig in this stuff, but this will be my first desert species. Maybe I used too much bentonite.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I read and have used myself with good results so far is 1 part bentonite to 12-15 parts substrate mix.I used 1 part bentonite to 12 parts sand..1 part soil..1 part peat and 1 part fine aquarium gravel.I let dry for a few days(don't break up) and it held together nicely.Worked well.I imagine a scorp can dig into a fairly hard compact substrate.Desert substrate can be very hard and compact.Maybe start a small impression with a pencil once the substrate's dried to lead the scorp into further digging it out.....peace...

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You'd be amazed at what they can dig in. If you are worried you cna start the burrowing process like pelo suggested.

John
];')

Last edited:

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can someone sugest a suitable substrate to use where bentonite isn't available?
My hadrurus has a substrate consisting of various grade sand/gravel. He digs around the tank and generaly escavates all the sand from beneath his cork bark hide. I love the way the tank looks different every day! Although my scorpion looks completely happy in his setup, I would much rather be able to see it creating tunnels. No matter what mixes I use it never stays compact enough for burrowing.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
You should be able to find bentonite or some other suitable clay at a shop that specializes in pottery supplies.

That said; I have found a substance called celluclay in a local craft/hobby store. This stuff looks like fonely shredded/powdered paper. I have used it in similar proportions as clay and had excellent results. Just make sure it has no glues in it if you are able to find some.

John
];')