desert hairy....i need help

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok, for the past 3 or so days i have not seen my desert hairy. sure that may seem like a short time for some of you, but this is the longest i've gone without seeing it out in the open.

i've have checked several times during the night using a blacklight and still no signs. his burrow is too deep for me to see it, even with a blacklight.

taking the advice of a friend at school, i scraped the upper layers of sand, and suddenly the sand started sinking. it dawned on me that i was making his burrows collapse.

is it possible for a desert hairy to get buried in the sand? if so, can it dig itself out?

i've put 2 crickets in the tank in an attempt to lure him out.

btw the sand isnt too deep, no more than 5 inches.

MACZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes he can dig his way back out no problem,now that you have dug his burrow it may be a good idea to dig him out to see if he is still alive.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i didnt totally dig him out, after realizing the sand was sinking for like the 3rd or 4th time i stopped.

it's not totally ruined.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
found this response from Darrin Vernier @ goldenphoenixexotica on the scorpionfans yahoo group:

In some areas, subspecies of H. arizonensis live directly in sand dunes. Imagine what a sand dune must be like when it rains.
H. arizonensis have been dealing with collapsing burrows for an eternity. They also have extremely low metabolisms and a correspondingly
low oxygen requirement. Provided your scorpion is healthy and there are no solid objects that might entrap him, he should be able to body
surf through the sand of a collapsed burrow as handily as a wyrm from 'Dune'.

It'll be 'home'.

Cheers.

Mmm_Pies

Arachnopeon
My desert hairy always ends up hidden from me. I've learnt to just trust that its ok but it makes it harder to clean out the enclosure when you have no idea where they are. I'll just dig the top layer of sand off, take a break and come back to see if shes surfaced. If not rinse and repeat till she turns up.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would leave it alone. But yea check if its dead if it doesnt come up in a few months!

TWO of my scorp got barried alive for over 3 days and I got worried and started tearing up everything, looking through the sand, I got real upset but then found both of them together all the way at the bottom! They were both ok! and are still gettin into that kind of trouble everyn0w and than!