Desert Hairy AWOL

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
So went to mist my crested gecko this morning and checked down the hole on the right and I can see the front end of him! First time in weeks! Thanks for the info etc everyone

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the info. Tried the uv torch at night down the burrow and nothing! But it turns about 5 inches in, so think he's gone right under as my substrate is pretty firm and holds shape well. Tiny water dish is usually down, just took it out while I took the picture to wash it
Sounds like a happy specimen to me then.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
He's not moved more than a couple of mm since he reappeared. Put a cricket in the hole and it's crawled down and past him. He moved to the side slightly as it went past....

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
So I've just had a look down the hole that he's in and it seems he's trying to molt. I can just about make out the front end and it looks like he's split in half and if forcing himself forward, moving side to side. I've just misted the tank lightly and have topped up the water bowl. It's a waiting game now I guess...... Any advice is appreciated!

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
It's also interesting to see that when I shine my UV torch down the hole, the fresh part that is emerging does not shine up as fluorescent

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Did it survive the molt? Yup after a fresh molt they dont glow under blacklight lol weird

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Did it survive the molt? Yup after a fresh molt they dont glow under blacklight lol weird
I don't know yet. I checked him first thing this morning and he wasn't molting. Checked him just over an hour ago and seemed to be mid molt. Out at the minute, so will check when I get in. How long (average) does it usually take?

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Oh it can range, quiet a bit. My p trans took HOURS so give it some time
I'm just gonna leave him be. Nothing I can do that I haven't already anyway. Lighting misting around the entrance to the burrow and that's about it. 88 degrees hot end with a gradient down to 77. In timer during the night so the heat goes off during the night to room temp which sits generally around 73-74 ish. Humidity usually sits around 31-33 and that's with a tiny water bowl at the cooler end

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Can't quite tell but looks like the majority is out, again though, can't fully see him. Doesn't seem to have moved in a couple of hours since I've been checking?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Dont worry just yet.. the twitch in them to wiggle out is very slight and happens little by little. If you use your phone camera with the flash on and record into the entrance of the hole. Can u get a view of it looking through your phone??

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
I'm not planning on disturbing. Nothing I can do anyway. Will just leave him be and see what happens. Maybe just tired and having a rest.....! Hopefully....
Can't film very well because of the angle!!!

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Still waiting and hoping he hasn't died. Isn't moving

Last edited:

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
If it was molting. It should be done by now
So I blew on him and he's still alive. Don't know for how long though as his foot seems to be stuck to the exoskeleton.... Not much I can do other than wait, but I think he's just going to end up passing

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Is his tail out? Once it passes 70% through and clears most of tail. It should be fine unless some freak accident of some sort. If worth it to you to try and save it carefully pull the hide out and examine it in the open

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
I didn't want to disturb him but I have now. Defo has a rear foot stuck. Other than that it's just the top half of his tail that's still hidden inside the exoskeleton. I think if I tried to help the foot it would come off