Desert Hairy AWOL

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Hi all,
My juvenile desert hairy that I've had since April has burrowed down and seems to have sealed himself in. Hasn't been out in around 2 weeks now. Haven't seen any movement or signs of life. Should I start digging up, or leave him be? I don't want him to have dug himself in and died. I imagine this type of thing has been asked lots already... Advice appreciated, thanks

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Rik, it could be in the pre-molt. Do you remember him being a little chunky the last time you saw him? This is normal scorpion behavior. You can throw a cricket in there and if the you don't see the cricket anymore then the scorpion ate it. It never hurts to check on the little dude though. Just be gentle and don't disturb him too much kinda like a quick peek. He can make another hiding spot in a few minutes. :)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
If it built a nice deep burrow leave it be. It's very common for desert hairys. People have told stories about them literally burrowing and not coming out for week / months. Like said above. Provide food and water and be patient. Let the scorp do its thing. It knows its way out of need be

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would have to agree with the previous posts. It could be an impending molt or it could just be a scorpion doing what they do. Digging a burrow is their way of securing a home so that they can eat, molt or just hide away from the world. I have one that is constantly out and about. It has pretty much dug every inch of the substrate up so that it will no longer hold a burrow but it does have flat rocks to hide under and it still bulldozes as often as it can. I wouldn't worry about it until a month or two after the prey items no longer disappear. Give it time to molt if that's what it's doing. You don't want to interrupt a molt. Bad things can happen. Leave it be

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies. I can tell he's dug down deep and can tell the hole goes at least 7-8 inches minimum towards the back of the tank. He was really active every night prior to this. Now nothing for around 2 weeks and hasn't surfaced. The last cricket I put in was in for 2/3 days and I was going to take it out before I found it dead near the opening of one of the tunnels. Wasn't eaten, just dead. Not sure if it's died on its own or he killed it. Took it out after a day. Could be a molt, just worried that he may have dug in for a molt and then died in the process, as I heard quite a lot don't molt well in captivity. I'll leave him be for a couple more weeks I reckon then from the advice here. May stick in a another cricket tonight if that's advisable?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You might throw another cricket in but keep an eye on it and take it out after awhile if uneaten. You can also try lightly misting the enclosure but I would only do it once. The moisture might coax it out for a drink and it probably wouldn't hurt a molt. I don't think a one time mist would do any damage. Other than that, it's a waiting game and scorpions play to win.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It more than likely killed the cricket for being annoying, invading its space. Leave it be for another week or 2. They are notorious for struggling with molts in captivity but the majority of this happens with inexperienced keepers who house them plainly and dont take the time or put in the extra effort to provide them with a proper home to assist molts. The fact that is built a nice burrow will help and ks a good sign. Got any current pics of enclosure with the new burrow?

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
I think he's in the one on the right. But honestly, not sure. Even began to wonder if I'd somehow let him out....! Can't really see how though tbh.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
UV light. Or use something feathery to maybe lure it out? Im sure its fine though

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would mist the whole enclosure the one time. They like it dry but rain isn't unknown to them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just leave it alone. 2 Weeks is nothing for them.

You should provide it with a water dish, especially in an Enclosure of that size there is no risk of the ambient humidity being too high the way some people are paranoid about.

@Rik Cuddy try shining a UV flashlight down the holes at night. See if you can catch a glimpse of some part of the Exo glowing.

Some of mine disappear sometimes. Heck in winter from the end of October through the end of March I don't see them at all. They go through a "diapause" period.
I keep their water dishes full and leave it at that. Come April they re-emerge.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
i know you are all talking about a desert hairy but my asian forest has burrowed in the substraite and ive literally not seen her outside the burow for bout 3 months now i know shes alive and well though because shes burrowed so far i can see inside her burrow through the side of the encloser.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
i know you are all talking about a desert hairy but my asian forest has burrowed in the substraite and ive literally not seen her outside the burow for bout 3 months now i know shes alive and well though because shes burrowed so far i can see inside her burrow through the side of the encloser.
What is the issue? If the Scorpion is alive then all is well. I have noticed that my Rain Forest species tend to be more inclined to remain in their burrows than my Desert species. The Desert species I notice wander more often, though they have their periods of remaining in their burrows too.

Likely this is due to the differences in their habitats. Prey is not as abundant in the desert I would imagine, so they may have to patrol more than Rain forest species which have a plethora of critters wandering past the entrance to their burrows at any given time.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
What is the issue? If the Scorpion is alive then all is well. I have noticed that my Rain Forest species tend to be more inclined to remain in their burrows than my Desert species. The Desert species I notice wander more often, though they have their periods of remaining in their burrows too.

Likely this is due to the differences in their habitats. Prey is not as abundant in the desert I would imagine, so they may have to patrol more than Rain forest species which have a plethora of critters wandering past the entrance to their burrows at any given time.
there is no issue? i was simply stating that they can go long periods of time without coming in or out of the burrow. thats all.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Just leave it alone. 2 Weeks is nothing for them.

You should provide it with a water dish, especially in an Enclosure of that size there is no risk of the ambient humidity being too high the way some people are paranoid about.

@Rik Cuddy try shining a UV flashlight down the holes at night. See if you can catch a glimpse of some part of the Exo glowing.

Some of mine disappear sometimes. Heck in winter from the end of October through the end of March I don't see them at all. They go through a "diapause" period.
I keep their water dishes full and leave it at that. Come April they re-emerge.
Thanks for the info. Tried the uv torch at night down the burrow and nothing! But it turns about 5 inches in, so think he's gone right under as my substrate is pretty firm and holds shape well. Tiny water dish is usually down, just took it out while I took the picture to wash it