1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dermestid beetles in a dubia colony?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Swoop, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Swoop

Swoop Arachnopeon Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    So in my recent craigslist purchases of T's I've acquired a small colony of mealworms, a small colony of B. lateralis, and at least several hundred dubias. The dubia colony has a lot of dead ones in the bottom, I wasn't planning on keeping it but if I do, what's an appropriate amount of dermestid beetles for a cleanup crew, or how would I estimate that?

Amazon has 100 larvae for $18 or 1,500 for $50. Seems like a hundred is too few and fifteen hundred is maybe a bit too much...

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I would clean out a few of the dead dubia and then get the 100 larvae. Once they reach adulthood and start breeding you'll get large numbers in no time. Another option would be to pick up buffalo beetles, which also do a really good job of cleaning up. They tend to be pretty cheap as well.

3. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnoangel Active Member

100 is more than enough. They reproduce very fast and the larvae will do clean up as well as the adult Beatle. Just dont get them into the red runners they will eat the oothecae.
    +

4. Swoop

Swoop Arachnopeon Active Member

Texas
    Cool, buffalo beetles are a little cheaper too. I definitely have enough dubias to split into a few colonies and we're still getting some heat in Texas, I could put some adults in my shed and it should be warm enough for the dubias to breed.

I'm going to order the dermestids and buffalo beetles and see which works better just because I can :) Got lots of cleaning to do lol.

• Like Like x 1