Delivery Services That Allow Spiders

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I apologize if this is on the wrong board.

According to the U.S. Post Office Domestic Mail Manual, spiders are nonmailable regardless of whether they are dangerously venomous to humans.

8.5 Harmful Matter -- General

Except as provided in this document, any article, composition, or material is nonmailable if it can kill or injure another or injure the mail or other property. Harmful matter includes, but is not limited to:

a. All types and classes of poisons, including controlled substances.
b. All poisonous animals except scorpions mailed for medical research purposes or for the manufacture of antivenom; all poisonous insects; all poisonous reptiles; and all types of snakes, turtles, and spiders.
c. All disease germs or scabs.
d. All explosives, flammable material, infernal machines, and mechanical, chemical, or other devices or compositions that may ignite or explode.​
Are there any private package delivery services companies that actually allow spiders to be sent (within the U.S.)? If so, which ones, and what kind of requirements do they have for packaging, etc.?

If not, how are people shipping spiders?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks for the link. It looks like most people who are shipping spiders are skirting the rules by simply not telling anyone what's in the package.

I haven't looked into federal or state laws to see whether it's actually illegal to ship a spider, or if it's just an issue of USPS rules. If it's not illegal, maybe there is another service that accepts spider shipments. (For example, you can't ship ammunition through the Post Office, but UPS allows it.)

UPS doesn't accept spiders.

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:
  • Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
  • Any Threatened or Endangered species
  • Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
  • Birds (All)
  • Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
  • Mammals (All)
  • Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
  • Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

FedEx may accept live animals shipped from one business to another, but that's approved on a case-by-case basis. It's unclear whether FedEx would accept spiders of any kind.

Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)

FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).
  2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/Test2/06081716/www.mssm.edu/biosafety/policies/pdfs/shipping.pdf

http://awic.nal.usda.gov/government-and-professional-resources/federal-laws/animal-welfare-act

Unfortunately it is not easy to figure out. many organizations have their hands in the jurisdiction over animals and biological material.

UPS allows shipping of what they consider "beneficial" bugs. Unfortunately "bees" are ok, and not considered dangerously venomous, but all arachnids are not allowed because they are venomous? OK UPS! So I cannot ship a harmless wind scorpion, but shipping a bee that could cause someone to die from allergies is AOK!

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/animals.html

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Kinda makes you think they have some non-allergic idiot CEO making all the rules huh?
http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/Test2/06081716/www.mssm.edu/biosafety/policies/pdfs/shipping.pdf

http://awic.nal.usda.gov/government-and-professional-resources/federal-laws/animal-welfare-act

Unfortunately it is not easy to figure out. many organizations have their hands in the jurisdiction over animals and biological material.

UPS allows shipping of what they consider "beneficial" bugs. Unfortunately "bees" are ok, and not considered dangerously venomous, but all arachnids are not allowed because they are venomous? OK UPS! So I cannot ship a harmless wind scorpion, but shipping a bee that could cause someone to die from allergies is AOK!

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/animals.html

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Spiders are arguably as beneficial as bees (though in different ways), and most are a lot less dangerous than bees!

However, I can understand their position from a certain perspective.
  1. A lot of people fear spiders. (Granted, this fear is often out of proportion with the actual level of danger.)
  2. Few people can identify spiders even to the family level.
  3. A few spiders are capable of inflicting medically significant bites.

This is a toxic combination that is likely to cause panicky behavior among employees (and others), especially if the spider somehow gets loose.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
Personally I don't think they really care if people ship T's occasionally as long as they are a few and packaged properly. I think this is mainly to stop anyone from putting 500 t's/whatever else in one package not packaged properly where there is harm to what is being shipped and they may get loose. I have seen quite a few people post that their local shipping place is well aware they ship Ts and are fine with it, even though its technically against their policy (this doesn't mean I suggest telling them or not telling them what you are shipping). I think it is mainly put in place so there are no animals escaping and no danger to said animals.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Kinda makes you think they have some non-allergic idiot CEO making all the rules huh?
Don't expect whole hive of bees to be shipped that way. Usually only queens are sent over postal service and it has been done for a long time. A guy carrying a package with 100 queens will more likely get bitten by an external bee. That said a guy who's allergic to bees, however grown up with them because of beekeeping tradition.

I agree that prohibiting T's is stupid and ignorant.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Spiders are arguably as beneficial as bees (though in different ways), and most are a lot less dangerous than bees!

However, I can understand their position from a certain perspective.
  1. A lot of people fear spiders. (Granted, this fear is often out of proportion with the actual level of danger.)
  2. Few people can identify spiders even to the family level.
  3. A few spiders are capable of inflicting medically significant bites.

This is a toxic combination that is likely to cause panicky behavior among employees (and others), especially if the spider somehow gets loose.
While I see your points, I'll play devils advocate a little bit here and ask who at the postal service could tell the different between an africanized killer bee and a normal honey bee? No spider is as medically significant as those bees. Not even close. Fear to me is a non-factor for mailing, as it is in a box and only the recipient would see the contents.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
While I see your points, I'll play devils advocate a little bit here and ask who at the postal service could tell the different between an africanized killer bee and a normal honey bee? No spider is as medically significant as those bees. Not even close. Fear to me is a non-factor for mailing, as it is in a box and only the recipient would see the contents.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that I can understand why people who don't love spiders would have a policy that prohibits the mailing of spiders.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that I can understand why people who don't love spiders would have a policy that prohibits the mailing of spiders.
I just wish at the very least they would not say all arachnids, so many venom-less harmless arachnids. A fear of spiders to me, can be rationalized by the fact our media makes them appear so vicious and deadly, but whip scorpions and the likes, just pure ignorance to ban them.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just wish at the very least they would not say all arachnids, so many venom-less harmless arachnids. A fear of spiders to me, can be rationalized by the fact our media makes them appear so vicious and deadly, but whip scorpions and the likes, just pure ignorance to ban them.
Yeah, it would be nice if they accepted non-parasitic arachnids that are not venomous.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in a nutshell. not really. there is golden state shipping on the west coast but that is about it... any nothing that covers all the states