Deli cup vented lids

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have any of you ever had a spiderling escape by chewing through the fabric on the vented lids? I am going to be housing quite a few spiderling tarantulas and I am opting for these containers based on past experiences using vials. There are also vented lids with an aluminum wire mesh in lieu of the breathable fabric. I like the fabric lids but I don't normally keep tarantulas in these that are smaller than the hole. Experiences anyone?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You didn't think they could chew thru soft fabric? They're strong animals with nothing else to do all day. I only use those lids with newly hatched slings. Everything else should have holes in the upper sides of their deli cups and a solid lid. These animals dig tunnels thru hard soils and clay. Going thru fabric isn't really a challenge.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You didn't think they could chew thru soft fabric? They're strong animals with nothing else to do all day. I only use those lids with newly hatched slings. Everything else should have holes in the upper sides of their deli cups and a solid lid. These animals dig tunnels thru hard soils and clay. Going thru fabric isn't really a challenge.
Can they? Absolutely! That wasn't the question. Just because they can doesn't mean they will and I am asking if anyone has personally had problems with arboreal tarantulas escaping. It was more of a question of wire mesh versus the poly fabric. I do keep larger tarantulas in them because when they do chew through the fabric they can't fit through the hole.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never had one escape but have seen then chew on them....and when I did ......I changed the lid or moved them ...just to be safe

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Can they? Absolutely! That wasn't the question. Just because they can doesn't mean they will.
If they can, than that means it's not a suitable lid, because some will chew their way out. There's also the assumption that the fabric, or screen, is always glued properly and tightly at every hole; I wouldn't count on that myself. If you're going to be 'housing quite a few spiderlings' then it's best to have the ventilation in the sides, instead of the lids, so you don't give up air flow when you stack them. Side holes give cross ventilation, vented lids don't. I've had, and have, and a lot of spiders in deli cups and side holes work far better.

Last edited:

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Murphy's law states that "everything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Always assume that the spiders will exploit every weakness they can, even if they seem insignificant.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed, if you know they can, is it worth the risk of losing a T? If yes, then use them. If no, then don't.