Deli cup lids?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
are the cloth lids safe for slings in 32 oz deli cups or should i get the solid and make my own holes? I have plenty of the cloth ones but wanna be safe and not risk a loose tarantula from chewing through.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I raised a sling in a 16 oz with one of those lids with the cloth, and I had no issues. However, after seeing my P. cancerides take apart one of those fake fabric plants thread by thread (promptly removed once I seen what was going on) and seeing her chew on air holes, I have since gotten rid of that lid because I’m sure a tarantula could escape that if it wished to.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While I've never known a tarantula to chew through those fabric lids, I wouldn't put it past them. They should certainly be capable of it, which is why I don't usually keep them with that kind of lid.

I have
had crickets chew through them - and surprisingly quickly, too! So if you have uneaten feeders in the cup, there's a pretty good chance they could chew a hole clean through the fabric portions of the lid - which might also be big enough for your sling to get through, depending on how big - and determined - she is.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
are the cloth lids safe for slings in 32 oz deli cups or should i get the solid and make my own holes? I have plenty of the cloth ones but wanna be safe and not risk a loose tarantula from chewing through.
Solid lids always best - then you can make your own holes according to size of sling without fear of any escapes.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
solid works fine, use that. poke some hole with a sobering iron or a dremel no problem.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I use the cloth ones with T's and true spiders all the time. Haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). In fact, with arboreals, cloth lids help me feed them. I open and bend the lid up slightly, place a red runner on it which is then stuck there until it gets eaten ( or falls, which is surprisingly rare).

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had a T chew through a cloth part of a lid. Luckily he was found a few days later!

I have some with pre-done holes from Josh's Frogs. I don't put holes in them otherwise.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I had a T chew through a cloth part of a lid. Luckily he was found a few days later!

I have some with pre-done holes from Josh's Frogs. I don't put holes in them otherwise.
How big are the pre drilled holes? Keep a 3/4 inch sling from getting out?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
What's with all the chewing? I've never seen this or noticed the results of it. And in case you don't know, I have a large collection.