1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deli cup lids?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by jrh3, Mar 16, 2019.

1. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    are the cloth lids safe for slings in 32 oz deli cups or should i get the solid and make my own holes? I have plenty of the cloth ones but wanna be safe and not risk a loose tarantula from chewing through.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Use solid ones...you only need a handful of holes.

3. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    I raised a sling in a 16 oz with one of those lids with the cloth, and I had no issues. However, after seeing my P. cancerides take apart one of those fake fabric plants thread by thread (promptly removed once I seen what was going on) and seeing her chew on air holes, I have since gotten rid of that lid because I’m sure a tarantula could escape that if it wished to.

4. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

While I've never known a tarantula to chew through those fabric lids, I wouldn't put it past them. They should certainly be capable of it, which is why I don't usually keep them with that kind of lid.

I have
    had crickets chew through them - and surprisingly quickly, too! So if you have uneaten feeders in the cup, there's a pretty good chance they could chew a hole clean through the fabric portions of the lid - which might also be big enough for your sling to get through, depending on how big - and determined - she is.

5. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Solid lids always best - then you can make your own holes according to size of sling without fear of any escapes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnoangel Active Member

solid works fine, use that. poke some hole with a sobering iron or a dremel no problem.

7. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnolord Active Member

I use the cloth ones with T's and true spiders all the time. Haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). In fact, with arboreals, cloth lids help me feed them. I open and bend the lid up slightly, place a red runner on it which is then stuck there until it gets eaten ( or falls, which is surprisingly rare).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I had a T chew through a cloth part of a lid. Luckily he was found a few days later!

I have some with pre-done holes from Josh's Frogs. I don't put holes in them otherwise.

9. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

How big are the pre drilled holes? Keep a 3/4 inch sling from getting out?

10. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnolord Active Member

What's with all the chewing? I've never seen this or noticed the results of it. And in case you don't know, I have a large collection.

11. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Yes! The holes are tiiiny, and there are a ton of them!

20190316_232615.jpg

• Like Like x 2