Dehydrated Tarantula - Am I doing right?

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Oh dear that enclosure is giving me chest pains.

Here is an example of what a 1" Brachypelma enclosure should look like, but yours should be kept more moist. Buy sphagnum moss and add it into the substrate, it keeps moisture really well and also soaks up water quickly.
We don't have that in the Philippines. and even if we did those things are really pricey than normal and most of the shops selling those products were closed off by authorities. So simple substrate is available here. Also they don't sell those kinds of enclosures here less we go to trading pages of facebook. IT'll take quite a while

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
We don't have that in the Philippines. and even if we did those things are really pricey than normal and most of the shops selling those products were closed off by authorities. So simple substrate is available here. Also they don't sell those kinds of enclosures here less we go to trading pages of facebook. IT'll take quite a while
I mean you can use the enclosure you have, I'm just saying the depth of the substrate needs to be a lot higher. That enclosure is just a plastic storage jar, it's nothing fancy.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Melviora You can use the Enclosure you have or you can use a jar or some other kind of Enclosure provided it has adequate ventilation. It needs more substrate, a water dish, and something for a hide as others have said. And the substrate should be a bit moister until the Spider ages a bit.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
@Melviora You can use the Enclosure you have or you can use a jar or some other kind of Enclosure provided it has adequate ventilation. It needs more substrate, a water dish, and something for a hide as others have said. And the substrate should be a bit moister until the Spider ages a bit.
Yes, I am taking everyone's advice. I don't know why but the guy who sold me the tarantula either is trying to decieve me to killing the thing or let it suffer (it's just a feeling) because everything I've done was by his advice and now the things dehydrated AF. It's just an Hour now and He's doing a little better. I have found a bigger bottle cap which he's taking to a liking.

Do you know how much substrate should I put in?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, I am taking everyone's advice. I don't know why but the guy who sold me the tarantula either is trying to decieve me to killing the thing or let it suffer (it's just a feeling) because everything I've done was by his advice and now the things dehydrated AF. It's just an Hour now and He's doing a little better. I have found a bigger bottle cap which he's taking to a liking.

You don't want more than 1.5 times the diagonal leg span of the spider distance from the substrate to the lid. In your case fill it quite a bit .

Pet stores don't really know anything about Tarantulas and don't really care much either. We, the Arachnoboardeons, shall steer you in the correct direction now.

Cheers and hope the little one is doing better.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

Whoever sold it to you doesn't know what they're doing, obviously.

It's taking a liking to it because it's probably very thirsty. Make sure you keep it filled as often as you can, water is more important than food unless they're severely malnourished. Even then it's -as- important as water.

The rule of thumb (since a tarantula can hurt itself if it falls even from a small distance) is typically about 1.5x their leg span. So if that T is 1 inch, 1 inch x 1.5 = 1.5" which means there should be about 1.5" of space between the substrate and the top of the enclosure. Substrate is always based on tarantula size and the enclosure.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
How will an ICU do more harm if it's dehydrated? Isn't the ICU suppose to resolve the dehydration solution?
Tarantulas need to drink water the same way a human does. They don't absorb water through their skin. So an ICU is just stuffy and doesn't help. It would be the same as putting a dehydrated person into a bath tub with a lid on it. Dry conditions can dehydrate a person. But you can't cure them by simply putting them into a moist environment. A tarantula is more likely to suffocate in that environment. They need to actually drink.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Also for future reference, tarantulas do not drink through their fangs either. Their mouth is located up between their chelicerae and is a tiny little o shape you can see sometimes when a tarantula is SUPER ticked off and giving you an intense threat posture with full on chelicerae wiggling and fang gnashing. To drink they must submerge their entire face into the water so that it can reach their mouths.