Dehydrated Tarantula - Am I doing right?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
You need to provide us with some more information. How did you keep it? Do you have any pictures of the enclosure?

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Here;s the enclosure, Iits been hard trying to moist the enclosure. Here's the small enclosure I've been trying mostened through the hot weather. He's been messing it up.

He started becoming weak after a week ago after his molt. (He sort of had a small seizure in the process and ever since I've been observing him becoming weaker. He wouldn't eat but would make webs in the ground and destroy them afterwards. Something is wrong I know it but he seems dehydrated atm

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
1. What is the species

2. We need better photos of the full enclosure and the spider.

From what I can see of the enclosure so far, its not adequate for any tarantula

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Here;s the enclosure, Iits been hard trying to moist the enclosure. Here's the small enclosure I've been trying mostened through the hot weather. He's been messing it up.

He started becoming weak after a week ago after his molt. (He sort of had a small seizure in the process and ever since I've been observing him becoming weaker. He wouldn't eat but would make webs in the ground and destroy them afterwards. Something is wrong I know it but he seems dehydrated atm
Did you keep it without a water dish? (I cannot see one in this picture).

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Tarantulas cannot have seizures since they don't have brains. Agreed. We need pictures and a summary of how you've been keeping it and what exactly it is.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
1. What is the species

2. We need better photos of the full enclosure and the spider.

From what I can see of the enclosure so far, its not adequate for any tarantula
1. Vegan
2. That is the full enclosure

The enclosure i made was "Adequate for the small critter" - the guy who sold me the tarantula. And i've been following his advice because he's experienced in this.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
1. Vegan
2. That is the full enclosure

The enclosure i made was "Adequate for the small critter" - the guy who sold me the tarantula. And i've been following his advice because he's experienced in this.
I am not trying to insult your intelligence.

We need a photo of the full setup. From the sides preferably.

And by ''Vegan' you mean B. vagans? Or are you just trolling?

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas cannot have seizures since they don't have brains. Agreed. We need pictures and a summary of how you've been keeping it and what exactly it is.
It's a Vagan. I kept in the enclosure (which was given to me). I put him in the dark area of my room. It's substrate is a small amount but according to guy who sold me the T he said it was enough. Fed it small meal worms. Our place is really dry these past few days.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well there it is. The setup was wrong. B. vagans appreciate humidity. They are from more tropical regions but will survive just fine in scrubland/dry setups as long as a water dish is provided.

There should also be lots of substrate and a suitable hide or pre made burrow.

Putting it in ICU will do it more harm than good. Correct its enclosure and then place it back in with its mouthparts over the water dish.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

How large is the spider? I can't even see it in your pics, the setup is too large for it if it's a sling. Don't put it in an ICU either, instead offer a water dish and it should drink if it's thirsty.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
So it didnt have a water dish before? In the 'adequate' enclosure?
I am not trying to insult your intelligence.

We need a photo of the full setup. From the sides preferably.

And by ''Vegan' you mean B. vagans? Or are you just trolling?
I removed the water bottle cap after I put in the ICU.
Why would i troll this? The thing is in a death Curl I think.
"adequate" i do question this too now.
You may insult my intelligence as much as you want, nothing new really.

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's not that hard to keep substrate moist unless you're trying to mist it. Don't mist it. Before you put the tarantula back in, pour some water directly into the substrate and stir it around to distribute it evenly throughout the substrate. Add a water bottle cap or something similar for a water dish, all tarantulas need access to drinking water, even the tiniest spiderlings.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
How large is the spider? I can't even see it in your pics, the setup is too large for it if it's a sling. Don't put it in an ICU either, instead offer a water dish and it should drink if it's thirsty.
It's leg span is an inch. it's curled up atm.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
With such little substrate it wont hold moisture long. Because of where you are from things will get real dry, real quick.

It will need more sub, hide and reasonable sized water dish that you will need to overflow every now and then

Please remove from ICU. Stuffy environment will kill it

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Well there it is. The setup was wrong. B. vagans appreciate humidity. They are from more tropical regions but will survive just fine in scrubland/dry setups as long as a water dish is provided.

There should also be lots of substrate and a suitable hide or pre made burrow.

Putting it in ICU will do it more harm than good. Correct its enclosure and then place it back in with its mouthparts over the water dish.
How will an ICU do more harm if it's dehydrated? Isn't the ICU suppose to resolve the dehydration solution?

It's not that hard to keep substrate moist unless you're trying to mist it. Don't mist it. Before you put the tarantula back in, pour some water directly into the substrate and stir it around to distribute it evenly throughout the substrate. Add a water bottle cap or something similar for a water dish, all tarantulas need access to drinking water, even the tiniest spiderlings.
Alright, I'll try doing that once I figure out what to do from this thread

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Oh dear that enclosure is giving me chest pains.

Here is an example of what a 1" Brachypelma enclosure should look like, but yours should be kept more moist. Buy sphagnum moss and add it into the substrate, it keeps moisture really well and also soaks up water quickly.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
With such little substrate it wont hold moisture long. Because of where you are from things will get real dry, real quick.

It will need more sub, hide and reasonable sized water dish that you will need to overflow every now and then

Please remove from ICU. Stuffy environment will kill it
Right, I'll do my best to find a good dish and more substrate.