1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of "Sling"

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by JeffK, Dec 25, 2009.

1. JeffK

JeffK Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    This is such a Noob question, but what is a sling? I have searched for the definition in search engines and read through posts that looked like there might be a definition, but I cant find it anywhere. I thought it was like an eggsack? maybe freshly hatched ? Well anyway just a real quick answer would be appreciated. It has to be a "everybody but me knows but me" question because every sales site mentions it like everybody obviously knows the answer
    Thanks for the help.
    JeffK

2. Redneck

Redneck Arachnoprince

Sling means Spiderling... It is a baby spider..

3. Marvin

Marvin Arachnoknight

Sorry I'm just gonna use this noob-thread to throw in another noob question in the same category.

I know what sling means, so what does juvenile mean? :?

:wall:

4. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

In my interpretation, the sling stage (actually, spiderling is the full name and I think it sounds better) begins when the spider emerges from the eggsack. This usually means you have 2nd instars, 3rd instars in a few species.
    Juveniles are basically young spiders that aren't mature yet and are smaller than the mature (adult) spiders. I guess you could call a spider juvenile at 2nd(/3rd) instar if you wanted to, but most people usually start to use the term juvenile after a spiderling molted a few times.

5. Personally, anything under 2" is a sling and anything from 2" until it matures or is an adult size is a juvie.

Except dwarf species, of course

6. Marvin

Marvin Arachnoknight

Alright. Thanks for telling ;)

7. another noob question, what is bolus?

8. Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek bōlos lump. Date: 1562. 1 : a rounded mass: as a : a large pill b : a soft mass of chewed food ...

9. paul fleming

paul fleming Arachnoangel

That's not really true for all species ...a bit of a sweeping statement?
    My irminia was about 2" and that was defo not a sling.....or a dwarf species.

10. twees

twees Arachnopeon

i was googling this very thing this morning...so weird!!{D

11. Stopdroproll

Stopdroproll Arachnoknight

Slings -> Juvenile -> Sub-adult -> Adult

12. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Arachnopeon

Yeah, this, and they're kind of approximates, I guess, open to some interpretation. IDK, I'm a noob too.

13. These are what I have always considered the correct terms.

14. We refer to our T's as juvies when they start showing their adult colors.

Cassandra

15. Generally, the terms sub-adult and juvie are synonomous. For an average sized T that will attain a diagonal leg span (or DLS) of about 5-7", I'd agree with Jairi and say that under 2" is a sling, 2-4" is a juvie / sub-adult, and anything over 4" is an adult.

16. paul fleming

This is just an opinion .....there are no hard and fast rules.
    I will post this question on the BTS as we speak.....see what they can come up with.....it may help.
    Edit......done.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  17. Paul - that is why I started my statement with "Personally" because I am not giving an exact definition of the terms that everyone should follow, I was simply stating how I PERSONALLY classify the majority of my Ts ;)

18. Big B

Big B Arachnoknight

I learned something, I thought it was a poo ball. oops:8o

19. paul fleming

Appreciate the bold type but it is not necessary and in fact....as far as internet etiquette goes,it is quite rude.
    Appreciate the wink all the same ;)
    Paul

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  20. jayefbe

jayefbe Arachnoprince

She bolds everything if you haven't noticed. Spit is giving internet etiquette lessons now...if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.