Decorations - specifically skulls

Charis

Arachnopeon
Oh no, the dreaded tacky skulls that you can pick up, the horror!

Well, no, I was wondering if anyone used real skulls in tanks? I have recently purchased [what I think to be] the most beautiful Ram skull, untreated etc. I was going to mount it, and adorn it about the cupboard door to scare my partner.

Then a thought hit me, I have a large territorial G. Pulchra who is, IMO the devil and enjoys skulking around her tank, running at you and if she were a person, she would be in prison quite frankly. So I was going to give her an old fish tank. Said fish tank could house this skull. I want to try and make this tank a bit more of a feature seeing how I only have 2 T's it seems right to try and make the tanks as glorious as they could be.

Here in is my question, if you was to use an untreated skull of an animal that's died from natural causes, what would you clean it with. I've never really deviated from a few tank decorations, a plant here and there, a plant pot, rock dishes etc. So they've never been well alive and I don't know how its currently being housed and/or if they've kept it near chemicals if they can seep into the bone matter?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I bought a halloween skeleton so I could use it in my enclosures.

My long term goal is to give the rib cage to a webbing species and half bury the skull in a terrestrial enclosure.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Oh no, the dreaded tacky skulls that you can pick up, the horror!

Well, no, I was wondering if anyone used real skulls in tanks? I have recently purchased [what I think to be] the most beautiful Ram skull, untreated etc. I was going to mount it, and adorn it about the cupboard door to scare my partner.

Then a thought hit me, I have a large territorial G. Pulchra who is, IMO the devil and enjoys skulking around her tank, running at you and if she were a person, she would be in prison quite frankly. So I was going to give her an old fish tank. Said fish tank could house this skull. I want to try and make this tank a bit more of a feature seeing how I only have 2 T's it seems right to try and make the tanks as glorious as they could be.

Here in is my question, if you was to use an untreated skull of an animal that's died from natural causes, what would you clean it with. I've never really deviated from a few tank decorations, a plant here and there, a plant pot, rock dishes etc. So they've never been well alive and I don't know how its currently being housed and/or if they've kept it near chemicals if they can seep into the bone matter?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
If the skull came from a perfectly fine animal, and has never been near any chemicals and died from natural causes, I can't see any reason not to use it, if in doubt, you could always put it in your oven for a few hours - that would kill any bacteria living on the skull, other than that I would go ahead and use it, it would look amazing.

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Putting the skull in the oven would dry it out and can cause it to start cracking likely destroying the skull in the process you could try simmering it in hot water that should kill any bacteria but I don't know if that would do anything about possible chemicals

Last edited:

Charis

Arachnopeon
Thank-you all! Lots of food for thought!

The ram died of natural causes though whether that be ill health or old age im unsure the horns are gorgeous though. If I were to put it in the oven, would it be a low and slow cook or a quick blast?

I dont think i have a pan large enough to boil the head skoid have to douse it in hot water.

I'm going to have the tank sit for a few days without my Pulchra in to start, as im giving live plants a try too.

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Dowsing it in hot enough water might work I'm not sure I've never done it that way. But If you absolutely have to use the oven make sure you put some water in with the skull that should help protect the skull some what. I would try to get it up to tempiture as quickly as possible then let it air cool. ovens use dry hot aire to cook and heat things and that is what does the damage to the bone the less you expose the skull to that the better

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Putting the skull in the oven would dry it out and can cause it to start cracking likely destroying the skull in the process you could try simmering it in hot water that should kill any bacteria but I don't know if that would do anything about possible chemicals
Not at a low temperature, around 100c then the skull would dry and the bacteria if any would be killed, boiling the skull would work as well, I don't know if there would be any chemicals in the skull, maybe, I don't think the tarantula would be trying to eat the skull anyway, I would definitely give it a try - it would look awesome.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I bought a halloween skeleton so I could use it in my enclosures.

My long term goal is to give the rib cage to a webbing species and half bury the skull in a terrestrial enclosure.
That would be well cool - good idea from the kids old Halloween costumes, I'm going to give that a go - that's a really great idea, thanks @user 666

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Do not use bleach, it will absorb into the bone and cause to to dry and turn to powder. I think diluted hydrogen peroxide would serve to disinfect. Maybe coat with a mat urithane clear coat to seal it.

Fragen

Arachnopeon
IF you are concerned about chemicals you could always try the cricket test. Leave it in a container with crickets for a while and see if it kills them

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
IF you are concerned about chemicals you could always try the cricket test. Leave it in a container with crickets for a while and see if it kills them
Yeah, but then they might poop all over it and destroy the original purpose of being pretty.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
You know, it would nice to get a hold of a "human" skull big enough for an adult terrestrial T to go in and out of.