Decide T blondi's fate

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some of you may remember me posting about my 2" blondi, not being able to eat. To those who don't remember, my blondi was doing perfectly fine until after what appeared to be a successful molt, fangs, legs, palps all came out perfect but for some reason it kills the food and dosen't eat it. The spider has been doing this for about 2 months now and is going down hill.(hasn't eaten a single thing since the molt). I was hoping that it would "somehow" molt again to correct its position but nothing, and a natural molt is out of the picture because as we all know if it can't grow(eat) it will have no reason to molt. So here is my question....Sounds kinda mean/cruel and I would hate to do it but should I kill it? I mean, if I don't end its suffering it will slowly starve to death, which at the rate this is going could take a year or so. This is a VERY hard decision to make alone so give me ALL your input. :(

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would what a few more months, some T's can go 2 years with out food, most will go a year and show no apperent harm. My P. Lugardi would molt and not eat for about 4 months all she would do is kill the crix. than all of a sudden it would start hunting and eat about 3 crix in about 8 hrs. then ate normal till she was ready to molt

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, leave the lil guy alone for a while and see what happens. My 3 inch H. mac is going on 3 months not eating. Keep us posted.

maxamillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would say life. Do not kill the T. You may be surprised by just how resilient the tarantula can be. Since the Tarantula is still young he may molt before the end of the year. I would just make sure that there is an open water bowl and that you keep the humidity up. T's can still molt even though they have not eaten for a long time.

So again, keep him alive and let him surprise you.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is the abdomon significantly shrinking or shriveling? Is it acting any different? More lethargic? Unresponsive? Is it moving normally, or are movements sluggish or shakey? Seeming weak?

Unless there was something else obviously wrong with the T, I would wait. Try a different type of food, worms maybe. Or try a "cricket soup" (crickets all blended up into a watery paste) and see if the T will drink it.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A T can go without eating and still molt. As long as it has access to water it may go ahead and molt without having eaten anything at all since its last molt.

I wouldn't do anything at this point. I'd do what cryptly suggested and make a "cricket soup" or try some wax worms.

Have you *closely* examined the fangs? Could they be bent, etc.?

If something did go wrong in the last molt which left the spider unable to eat, it will force a molt in order to survive.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an A.avic that molted back in the beginning of March, was all curled up, and I was sure she was gonna die. She didn't eat, (but did drink) for over 2 months, ate 2 crix and stopped again until recently(4 months later!) Now she's grabbing pre-killed crix from me. (She hasn't made a kill of her own in all that time.) They have amazing powers of recuperation, don't give up!!

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca81 said:
If something did go wrong in the last molt which left the spider unable to eat, it will force a molt in order to survive.
That is what I am hoping for. The abdomen is small but not shrinking so to speak and the T seems very jumpy/energetic, not sluggish at all, and it kills the crickets/mealworms with the quickness....but thanks alot guys/gals for the hope as I was kinda losing mine. Good to know that this has happened before and the T pulled out of it. :)

Matt

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering. Did you move the T to a new enclosure shortly after it molted? :? Mine get kind of freaky when I move them to new/bigger enclosures. Sometimes they settle down in a day or a week. Other times it has taken longer. :(

Anyway, I agree that you should definately NOT kill the T, especially if it seems fine otherwise. Offer 2-3 crix at a time, once a week, and take them out if they aren't gone in the morning, but definately leave them in overnight with the lights off. (You did mention leaving them in overnight in your original post, but I just wanted to make sure). I suspect that your blondi will be fine after it either settles down, or goes through another molt to correct the problem. I wish him/her the best of luck. :D

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, it is in the enclosure that it molted in. Maybe things will go well, thanks guys/gals.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did you try to look at it's "mouth" to make sure that was ok?
Mush up some cricks for it ans see if it takes that.
Yanno they molt that small digestive tract piece...did
you see it on the skin after molt?

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll probably never know what really happened--that's what's so frustrating ! BTW- the T does have access to fresh water I hope. My avic seemed to be much better after drinking--which she did every night for a week(at @ 2 weeks after the molt). T's are amazing in their recuperative powers, you just have to be patient and hope for the best! Keep us updated.