Deceased A. Piscivorus

Marcus D

Arachnopeon
Hey guys my beloved CM passed away today. She's been a great pet and introduced me into the world of keeping HOT. I've noticed her being lethargic and very weak when handled with a hook, I kinda blew it off knowing it was in the winter months and she's a wild caught from South Carolina so I got her some gold fish and left her be. In 3 days the food was gone so my worries were gone but 2 weeks later she lost alot of weight fast and was barely able to move. I started to get worried and I removed her from her enclosure and tailed and as soon as I grabbed her and felt the lifelessness I began to cry and just began to stroke her and maybe 5 minutes pass and she can't keep her head up any longer and I lay her in my lap and proceed to try and give comfort. When passing her body received a jolt of energy and began to twist and roll onto her belly and that's when she was dead.. im curious why she did that when dying I always thought that was a defense type of thing and I've never seen that in any other animals that passed from natural causes. Also she's provided me with 6 beautiful healthy babies that can live up to her greatness.

What do you guys think could of caused this passing? I'm thinking of tainted food or some kind of disease or parasite due to being a wild caught. I'm really curious on why she twisted and spun onto her back like that.. it was very weird during the moment..

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Gold fish are terrible feeders for all pets/animals. They contain thiaminase.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
Gold fish are terrible feeders for all pets/animals. They contain thiaminase.
Plus they're just pure fat. The amount of people I hear feeding their oscars just goldfish, and then asking why they're dead a few months later... :vamp:

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
While mine was young, I fed baitfish that I cast net and froze. That along with frogs. As an adult it switched over to rodents very readily with the occasional wild frozen fish. Goldfish should never be used as feeders.