Debation about teenagers keepin deadly scorpions

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Silly argument to be against, silly points being made. Some people on here do not have a fine grasp on reasoning/criticism. No biggie though lol
Nice ad hom attack.
Well, we can't all be masterdebaters like you, I suppose:sarcasm:
Of course we are all just ignorant savages and any argument against your position is silly.
We are all bow to your wisdom.:laugh:

I look at it with the notion that MOST teenagers seek and obtain a drivers license. Of COURSE there are many more accidents that involve a teenage driver over one who keeps potentially dangerous creatures.

Owning dangerous animals and being under the age of 18--owning a car is the only argument you can come across, and you look stupid when bashing somebody for saying driving a car is more dangerous, of COURSEit is. More individuals own cars, and many more accidents result from that. You would have to compare the ratio of accidents with cars, and with owning hot animals, but even that is not the point. The point comes down to adding risk-- and for NO benefit to society. (Yes, an individual being able to drive a vehicle DOES benefit society in most/all cases)

Owning a potentially deadly creature should not be allowed to minors-- it is simply an added risk, ON TOP of owning and driving a vehicle.
Yes, you do look stupid for bashing me for saying that driving a car is more dangerous. I am glad to see that you recognize that.

So, are you now saying there is some master level of risk that is acceptable for every group of people based solely on age and that needs to be enforced with the power of law? For example, you NOW claim that the risk of caring for a hot scorp is only excessive when added to the risk associated with driving a car. (nice cover, by the way) So by that rationale, if a teenager is not driving, then they should be allowed to care for the hot scorp. Or maybe if they ride skateboards and skydive occasionally then they could have a slightly less hot species according to your master risk gauge. Ridiculous argument. And feel free to correct me if that isn't your current assertion. Not trying to straw man you here.

So, if you don't like the car analogy, (and no, it's not the only analogy I can think of) how about teens caring for dogs. Should we have laws that say that teens should not be allowed to care for certain species of dogs (and I hate to stereotype because I love them but the stats don't lie) like pit bulls or rottweilers and should stick to safer breeds of dogs?

Or how about skateboarding, which, in my opinion, is a similiar level of risk to working with hot scorps (as in, if you screw up there is a good potential to be in a lot of pain or very slight potential to be dead). Should it be against the law for teens? (or only if they also drive)

Why should we infringe on people's rights to decide on the level of risk that they find acceptable just because somebody thinks it doesn't have any value or benefit to society? How does skydiving or bungee jumping benefit society as a whole? I am sure you do a lot of things that have no benefit to society, just as everyone else does. Owning hot scorps has benefit to some people in society (breeders and dealers of hot scorps, businesses that sell supplied for inverts, etc. ) so I guess it depends on how you want to quantify that. Personal freedom is far more important than being as safe as possible at all times.

In regards to comparing hot scorps to hot snakes, we are talking apples to oranges. I kept hot herps (rattlers) when I was a teen and there is a world of difference in terms of the danger involved. I would take a sting from a deathstalker/ Andro/ Parabuthus/ whatever over a bite from a mamba, cobra, or even a rattler any day of the week. You are also talking about an animal that has a reach of a few inches that is easily contained in a glass enclosure versus an animal that has a reach of several feet (or far more in some cases) and have a much higher risk of escape.

Basically, I believe people should be responsible for their own decisions and choices.
I really don't feel that it is the government's job to protect people from their own choices or actions.
If you choose to own an animal that has the potential to seriously injure you, whether it be a dog, horse, snake, scorpion, whatever, then you live with the consequences of that choice. Being a particular age doesn't absolve you of dealing with the consequences of your actions either. And a parent that misjudged their child's level of responsibility would have to suffer the consequences as well.

The only way I could see a dealer having any real liability is if they mis-represented the species as being mild or mixed them up somehow, eg. the customer ended up with a deathstaker and was told it was a desert hairy. If the customer was educated on the danger involved and purchased it anyways (which can be handled with a signed disclaimer) they have no reason to place any liability on the dealer. I do recognize that anybody can sue anybody without true cause so the best way to protect yourself as a dealer is to not sell them to anyone under 18 but I don't believe that there is any reason to legislate it or create a bureaucracy to hand out DWA licenses.

I decide the level of risk I am willing to take and act accordingly, and I face the consequences if something happens.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Tuhin....tired of this thread.
Conclusion....No hots for teens, teens are dumb. Everyone knows that...jesus C...some of you really like to hear themselves talk! HIGH HORSES! arrogance! ROFL!

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got my first tarantula and I am 15, and I'm getting my first scorpion as well, and I believe I am very responsible. I believe it depends on the individual.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Tuhin....tired of this thread.
Conclusion....No hots for teens, teens are dumb. Everyone knows that...jesus C...some of you really like to hear themselves talk! HIGH HORSES! arrogance! ROFL!
This might be the case, but a generalization like that isn't fair. For the most part, you're right, but it's not like every single teenager is below average in intelligence.
Not many people should ever be owning hot scorpions (or any venomous animals for that matter), and whether or not they're a minor shouldn't be of concern to anyone but the seller and their parents (and, perhaps, their doctor should they screw up). Experience, maturity, reasoning behind owning the animal, responsibility, etc. should be taken into account for ANYONE of ANY age group desiring to own dangerous animals. If someone wants them just to be cool, they should definitely stay away from them, regardless of their age.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This might be the case, but a generalization like that isn't fair. For the most part, you're right, but it's not like every single teenager is below average in intelligence.
Not many people should ever be owning hot scorpions (or any venomous animals for that matter), and whether or not they're a minor shouldn't be of concern to anyone but the seller and their parents (and, perhaps, their doctor should they screw up). Experience, maturity, reasoning behind owning the animal, responsibility, etc. should be taken into account for ANYONE of ANY age group desiring to own dangerous animals. If someone wants them just to be cool, they should definitely stay away from them, regardless of their age.
It seemed, at least to me, that Michiel made that statement on purpose, as sarcasm and to end this. Teens are dumb, blah blah blah...

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seemed, at least to me, that Michiel made that statement on purpose, as sarcasm and to end this. Teens are dumb, blah blah blah...
I probably read it wrong, but I'm glad I said what I said anyway.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was just messin' with you all...everything has been pretty much said I think....

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Hi

this is iyrsw0122

Few weeks ago in Korea some teen guy was stung by the death stalker scorpion and he almost got killed

Then many people made the opinon that teenagers should not rear deadly scorpions (mainly adults)

But others say that it is ok for the teenagers to rear some of that species (mainly teenagers)

And i am curious about how the other country's breeders feel about this problem

Please be kind to write your opinion about this problem and reason for your opinion.
I remember when I turned 18 and the sugar plum faery snuck through my window and bonked me on the head with her wand. Like, I knew it was gonna happen but it was an odd experience going from some stupid punk kid, to mature and responsible adult over night. I would have preffered a more gradual change, almost as if becoming a mature adult was something you were slowly taught by your parents/teachers, etc.

Stereotyping people = bad.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
I couldn't care less about it, there are enough humans to take their place.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. Every American Teenager should own a hot scorpion. Survival of the Fittest;)
"This just in; Millions of teenagers, mainly boys, found dead across the globe from what appear to be scorpion stings. No one is sure as to why or how this has occurred, although there seems to be a notion that extreme stupidity and irresponsibility were involved.
In other news, millions of teenage girls have been found screaming down roads across the U.S.
Thank you and goodnight America."

sbullet

Arachnoknight
Ad hoc isn't necessarily a fallacy, especially in an argument based on ONLY people's opinion.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
"This just in; Millions of teenagers, mainly boys, found dead across the globe from what appear to be scorpion stings. No one is sure as to why or how this has occurred, although there seems to be a notion that extreme stupidity and irresponsibility were involved.
In other news, millions of teenage girls have been found screaming down roads across the U.S.
Thank you and goodnight America."
And nothing of value was lost.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ad hoc isn't necessarily a fallacy, especially in an argument based on ONLY people's opinion.
Not Ad Hoc. Ad Hom. Short for Ad Hominem.
Sorry, should have spelled it out (it is a common shorthand on another forum I used to frequent.)

LiteraryRecluse

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I stumbled on this thread while searching the forums, and I thought I'd share my views and experiences.

I disagree with blanket statements that all 'teenagers are dumb' and incapable of caring for a hot invert; it really depends on the individual.

A co-worker of mine who was around 35 wanted to purchase A. australis slings from me to 'show off to his friends' and force it to do those animal fights you see on Youtube, where two animals are deliberately put in a container to fight each other (like a black window and a scorpion or something). (I never ended up having any australis slings and wouldn't have sold them to him anyway.)

Personally I was about 13 or 14 when I got my first hot inverts – an L.quin and a S.subspinipes. By the time I was 18 I had dozens of centipedes and several hot scorpions, from L.quin to A.amourexi and australis.

Speaking as someone who used to drive long-haul tractor-trailers that weigh more than 100,000 pounds, it is absolutely absurd, in my opinion, to think that it requires more maturity and self-discipline to care for a hot invert than to drive a car. If you keep a hot invert, you could seriously hurt or kill yourself; if you drive a car, you could seriously hurt or kill a whole family. There are enough adults that shouldn't be allowed to drive, much less teenagers.

So my words of advice to a parent debating whether or not to allow their teenager to keep a hot invert: like driving, sex, or anything else, sit down and have a serious talk with your teenager, and make sure they understand the risks and consequences.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright, séance time! I'm far from being a teenager anymore and never knew how to spell "séance" so you can learn something from old topics. Actually, probably more than half the topics brought up on older forums are old topics anyway haha. I too think it's up to the parents. If a hot is sold, I'd rather sell it to the parents and let them decide the state of their teenager.

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
I'm 18 yo. I'm from Italy and here, you just can't keep deadly scorpion. Don't matter how many years old are you. I think is surely safer and yes, maybe a little bit annoying. Anyway, for sure someone under 16-17 shouldn't keep deadly animals. In Italy at 18 you get "adult", ipotetically here, this could be the limit.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm 18 yo. I'm from Italy and here, you just can't keep deadly scorpion. Don't matter how many years old are you. I think is surely safer and yes, maybe a little bit annoying. Anyway, for sure someone under 16-17 shouldn't keep deadly animals. In Italy at 18 you get "adult", ipotetically here, this could be the limit.
What do you think @Chris LXXIX ?