Debation about teenagers keepin deadly scorpions

iyrsw0122

Arachnosquire
Hi

this is iyrsw0122

Few weeks ago in Korea some teen guy was stung by the death stalker scorpion and he almost got killed

Then many people made the opinon that teenagers should not rear deadly scorpions (mainly adults)

But others say that it is ok for the teenagers to rear some of that species (mainly teenagers)

And i am curious about how the other country's breeders feel about this problem

Please be kind to write your opinion about this problem and reason for your opinion.

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I am sure some teens are responsible enough but I was not. I, like a lot of my friends, lacked the focus necessary to deal with these species. I feel that there are plenty of other species they can raise to gain more knowledge first. Just an old man's opinion. Ron

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Teenagers have always generally been irresponsible .. it's no new phenomena and has as much to do with hormones and limit seeking behaviour as it has to do with simply growing up...if it's not driving fast and irresponsibly then it's drinking to much and being an ass, or exaggerated drug use, or fighting or any number of other anti social extreme types of behaviour. If there's something that can be exaggerated then teenagers will (generally) do it .. as simple as that. Having said that though i feel it's wrong to prohibit certain activities simply because some young people can't understand or have no respect for their own limits. It's all part of growing up! .. We all learn best from our mistakes, not from what we do right .. and life is all about learning. When our mother's told us not to stick our finger's in a flame we listened and then stuck our finger's in a flame...Words are not always enough to learn anything. More often than not we have to experience stuff first hand before we really understand what it's all about.
Thousands of teenagers every year kill themselves by driving to fast or some other over the top activity. That is of course regrettable, especially for their parents, but the truth is many many more have near death experiences through driving and then learn a lot from it. You could almost call it a type of natural selection.

If we all lived in a type of utopia then <edit> wouldn't happen, but we don't live in that world and probably never will so my approach is enjoy your life, do what you want, try not to hurt other people and try to come through it all with your skin intact...Some won't make it but thankfully, most will.

Last edited by a moderator:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Im personally a teen and i got my first a.australis at 17- and yes i used to do alot of the anti-social stuff but with trying to make something outta myself.. between getting ged-colledge work i dont have time for that..and i also have a mentor actually i live with my mentor so its not like i just went and got it and had to learn he groomed me into how to take care of them...honestly its all common sense espically with scorps... one thing that scorps keepers just gotta think about is there not tarantulas... no climbing up the side of the tank and there not centipedes so there not rediculously fast ... honestly id hate to say it but you would almost have to be a fool to get stung

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most teenagers are extremely stupid. I know that I'm definitely not fully matured, but at least I'm a little bit above the general populous of my age group (or at least I like to think so :p). Whether or not they keep dangerous species should be up to them and their parents/guardians. If they can't make the correct, wise decision on their own, somebody else better do it for them rather than them learn their lesson the hard way.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Most teenagers are extremely stupid. I know that I'm definitely not fully matured, but at least I'm a little bit above the general populous of my age group (or at least I like to think so :p). Whether or not they keep dangerous species should be up to them and their parents/guardians. If they can't make the correct, wise decision on their own, somebody else better do it for them rather than them learn their lesson the hard way.
Agreed but alot of it is logic... dont mess with = no trip to er... one thing i do, though is i keep the substrate enought for my a.australis to burrow and play around but no so high that they can touch the lid in case they decide to do some quick moves while the lid is off

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
i watched tv show where the A. australis (correctly spelled?) was being talked about. the narrator said that the venom is designed to kill humans. as a teen i found that fact interesting and at the same time made me think about how many people are putting their lives at risk by owning this hot species also, their is no anti venom in the U.S. thats why i believe every owner should work their way up from p imperator
to more and more dangerous species however, the owner should be proven responsible enough by owning a dwa liscence along with years of experience and extensive research i would never own such a
dangerous animal no matter how cool they are pets should not be for show pets are family

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two teenagers not in to scorpions .I would not let them have a deadly scorpion.But would allow them to have a emperor .It is not worth the risk to have something that exotic or dangerous ....manly on a impulse buy.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd just like to add that if teenagers (and anyone else for that matter) only wants to keep scorpions for their "look at my cool creature" effect and have no intentions or desires to keep that scorpion in a way that reflects the scorpions natural habitat and constantly stress the scorpion through unnecessary handling and showing it off then my attitude is different. These people should not be allowed to keep scorpions regardless of their age. One thing is to put yourself at risk (that's their prerogative) but it's a totally different ball game when these people commit their scorpion to a short life of suffering through neglect and wrongful keeping.....Do what you like as long as you don't hurt others, whether they be other humans or animals. If they can't do that then sure, some kind of preventative measures should be enforced.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I'd just like to add that if teenagers (and anyone else for that matter) only wants to keep scorpions for their "look at my cool creature" effect and have no intentions or desires to keep that scorpion in a way that reflects the scorpions natural habitat and constantly stress the scorpion through unnecessary handling and showing it off then my attitude is different. These people should not be allowed to keep scorpions regardless of their age. One thing is to put yourself at risk (that's their prerogative) but it's a totally different ball game when these people commit their scorpion to a short life of suffering through neglect and wrongful keeping.....Do what you like as long as you don't hurt others, whether they be other humans or animals. If they can't do that then sure, some kind of preventative measures should be enforced.
agreed... i do it for breeding and i enjoy the species.

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
In our country, if a teenager was killed or made very ill by a scorpion, the parents would probably held responsible and prosecuted. Ron

Aviara

Arachnoknight
If a teenager is serious enough to want to make a long-term commitment to a scorpion's care, then waiting a few years to acquire certain species should not be an issue. Personally, I think most teenagers would want to own scorpions for all the wrong reasons. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but you can't easily make the rule apply to only "irresponsible teenagers". Most vendors around me won't sell the more dangerous species of arachnids to minors, and those that do generally require parental consent. I completely agree with the policy of selling only arachnids with non-medically significant venom to minors.

Danimal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not only would the parents likely be charged but so would the seller.
Was just about the say that. Depending on where it happened, you could probably keep going down the line as to where is came from due to the fact that some species are illegal in certain states / countries.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Not only would the parents likely be charged but so would the seller.
I think so too... although I have never really put much thought into it.

If you sell medically significant species on a commercial or semi-commercial scale seeking the advice of a lawyer... perhaps one who deals mainly with contracts and liability mitigation would be wise.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I kept androctonus bicolor when I was 14. It depends on the teenager, I was responsible about it and had the correct equipment(locking cage and whatnot), so there was no issue. While the situation worked for me, I wouldn't trust 99% of teenagers with anything remotely dangerous. Teenagers are stupid and don't realize they are stupid until a few years later.

Last edited:

Taysha

Arachnosquire
Being a teenager myself I fele i have a bit of a different opinion. I have been fascinated by the exotic and the complex insects and arachnids that we live with since I was just a small child. I started asking for my first tarantula at just six. I didnt get my first rose hair until my mom was satisfied I had done an adequate amount of research and that I was up to the task. I was about ten and I got my first rose hair, a fully grown, 5+in female when I was just nine. I never have kept these creautires for the, 'look at what I have' factor. I have always kept them because I have a true passion and interest in them. God, I was nearly seventeen when my first rose hair died and I sobbed like she was my child. I now keep several types of scorpions, albiet none are deadly. I have never acted irresponsibly with my animals. I love them dearly and respect them for what they are. I know many adults who have kept scorpions for just the reason as, 'look what I have'. I have taken in multiple rescue animals for that reason. one of them was an emperor scorpion. I had him from the time I was ten til twelve Total of two years before a drunk adult thought it would be funny to harrass it into stinging him then smashed him to impress his friends. I think who and who should not keep these animals should not depend soley on age, just as it shouldnt depend on sex or any other factor. It should depend on level of maturity, knowledge, and individual understanding. So one irressponsible, or even careless, teen should not condemn us all

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This narrator doesnt know what he is talking about. These deadly scorps have been around alot longer than humans. So how could they have venom designed to kill humans, when humans didnt even exist. They also live in remote areas, so human contact is at minimum. Its basically the same thing for any deadly venomous creature, or any creature large enough or vicious enough to kill a person. Being that humans have advanced brains, we like to think that all the creatures in the world revolve around us.
i watched tv show where the A. australis (correctly spelled?) was being talked about. the narrator said that the venom is designed to kill humans. as a teen i found that fact interesting and at the same time made me think about how many people are putting their lives at risk by owning this hot species also, their is no anti venom in the U.S. thats why i believe every owner should work their way up from p imperator
to more and more dangerous species however, the owner should be proven responsible enough by owning a dwa liscence along with years of experience and extensive research i would never own such a
dangerous animal no matter how cool they are pets should not be for show pets are family

lizardminion

Arachnolord
I don't usually think it's fair to judge an individual by a group that he or she just so happens be unfortunately placed in, be it age or race. Usually if it's common sense, like not letting a 3 year old own a Taipan, fine, but if they are mature enough to actually think for themselves, yes. If the person has proven themselves, no matter if they're 16 or 61, and if they are obviously capable of responsible care for the species, then it is fine for them to maintain the animal. It's just unfortunate that teens have garnered a stereotype for irresponsibility.