Death in the family

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
Well basically i went to drop a cricket in my desert hairys enclosure and i found him dead. He was not yet full size and i cant seem to figure out why he died? He has adequate heating and i drop a cricket in every week for him to eat. Ive had him since january and he had not molted. I started to question if he was even a desert hairy. Here is a picture of him before he died https://gyazo.com/c7eb9dc17300bef184026fd268269b0c

Does anyone have any answers for me did i miss something i was supposed to do for sub adult scorpions?
RIP Diablo :(

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry about your little dude. Here's a few questions to ask yourself. Do you think your source of feeders is a clean source. Crickets can have parasitic mites in them. Did you have enough air circulation. Are there vent holes. Was it too hot. Was there an area for him to cool off. Inspect him for any mites or fungus. Neighbor spray for wasps or mosquitos? Is the substrate clean? Is there a musty smell? Do you water him? He may have ingested some of the sand over time.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed with Mila. While sometimes there are circumstances that could have made the death avoidable, more often than not, they just die. Unfortunately, just nature being nature.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Agreed. You can keep them at room temperature, but if your house is below 70 degrees during the day
supplemental heating will be necessary, using heat lamps or heat pad on the side of the enclosure work fine. You do not want to keep them past 86 though. At night they would not require any heat source.

Mila

Arachnoknight
Agreed. You can keep them at room temperature, but if your house is below 70 degrees during the day
supplemental heating will be necessary, using heat lamps or heat pad on the side of the enclosure work fine. You do not want to keep them past 86 though. At night they would not require any heat source.
I like to use a day/night thermostat and set it as room temp for all my room temp inverts so they have a constant temp and I can sleep with my window open (absolutely crucial)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
they are cold hardy and active above 55 f... you dont need heating unless your home dips below 55, in that case they simply go dormant.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well basically i went to drop a cricket in my desert hairys enclosure and i found him dead. He was not yet full size and i cant seem to figure out why he died? He has adequate heating and i drop a cricket in every week for him to eat. Ive had him since january and he had not molted. I started to question if he was even a desert hairy. Here is a picture of him before he died https://gyazo.com/c7eb9dc17300bef184026fd268269b0c

Does anyone have any answers for me did i miss something i was supposed to do for sub adult scorpions?
RIP Diablo :(
Can you give us an update on the inquiries that the people in this thread have posted? It could help answer your OP.