Death due to obesity ?pokie

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
R.I.P. looks like a fall injury or some sort . A roach did die in the water dish too.
9B30E72E-F8E9-4E80-94D8-724B29DC4D13.jpeg BCD03092-7057-49E7-A608-FCD463AA1778.jpeg 51475D9B-8A1D-47A0-A7AB-31D2519EA1E8.jpeg
Abdomen looked dark possibly pre molt .
I doubt it tried. Molting uprights but it’s a possibility! I’m so sad over my lost T

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Is the second picture how you found it? That certainly looks like the cause of death. What's the enclosure lid made of?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Spiders, even arboureals can become clumsy when in premoult and my guess is that it climbed the glass directly above the green plastic cap and then fell and impaled/ruptured herself. Seems like really bad luck. I'm really sorry for your loss. Really pretty T. :'(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From the picture I'm not ruling out impaction in combination with a fall.
Was she always this fat? Not sure on other people's Poecilotheria, but mine keep an extremely slender build despite getting ample food.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
From the picture I'm not ruling out impaction in combination with a fall.
Was she always this fat? Not sure on other people's Poecilotheria, but mine keep an extremely slender build despite getting ample food.
She wasn’t this fat before , are those lids dangerous for Ts? She must had been in pre molt or over ate hidden roaches that burrowed.if I noticed she was this fat I would had removed her from the tank .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She wasn’t this fat before , are those lids dangerous for Ts? She must had been in pre molt or over ate hidden roaches that burrowed.if I noticed she was this fat I would had removed her from the tank .
With an abdomen like that, I think even a dull edged waterdish can cause a rupture, yes. You need the waterdish level with the substrate for easier access anyways ;)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Wow that is a fat pokie! Sorry for the loss though beautiful T, guessing a fall ruptured the abdomen along with the other members but not 100% sure.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
That's some grade A bad luck right there. It looks like the poor thing fell just perfectly to have that waterdish edge dig into the tissue connecting her abdomen to her carapace. Combined with how robust she was, a sad turn of events. Very unfortunate, and sorry for your loss. :(

Not sure on other people's Poecilotheria, but mine keep an extremely slender build despite getting ample food.
My smaller specimens will get similarly fat before premolt, but as they get bigger they tend to keep more slender in shape.