death curl physic?????

Stitch_geevi

Arachnopeon
my T has done this TWICE already...
the first time i caught her like this, she had SOME of her legs curled...not quite UNDER her, but definitly curled inward at the patella with the tops of her tibia, metatarsus, and tarsus down on the ground. other legs were stretched out almost flat, her body was laying flat on the ground but slightly lopsided, and one of her spinnerettes was down (the other upright). i had to blow on her pretty hard to "wake her up". i kept a very nervious eye on her after that, but she seemed to be fine, and this was over a month ago.

i just caught her doing it again.. only this time i caught her in the act of positioning herself like that so i knew she wasnt dead, but once again, it took a hard blow to get her to startle.

what is this???
is this just something they do to get comfortable? or is it something i should worry about?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would worry about it, if it's truly a "death curl" that she's doing... she could be slowly dying from something.

How is her water supply?

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Hmm... some of my Ts do this as part of the "stretching" routine after a molt, but yeah, that kind of 'physique' or 'pose' is always troublesome. Out of curiosity, what kind of T is it?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I saw my T's doing that I'd be really worried that they were dying of dehydration. Are you giving this T enough humidity and constant access to water?

Stitch_geevi

Arachnopeon
she's a rosea and she does have access to water, and i do see her drinking from it sometimes. should i force hydrate her just incase?

EDIT:

ACTUALLY..... i just came across THIS thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=168961

talonAWD's posts seem to be the exact thing im talking about, and the pics he posted are exactly what she was doing.
he goes on to say:

Forgot to add...
How do you tell the difference? Theres always one or two legs partially extended in these poses. Most of the time its the rear legs. I have been seeing these poses for years. Like I stated above, its only done when they are super confortable. Its like letting their guard down.
hm... so Sydney was showing the ultimate sign of trust... now i feel like a ditz for disturbing her BOTH TIMES.... lol
leave it to Ts to be backassward with absolutely EVERYTHING.... if they're twisted curly and lopsided, they're showing you trust. if they're stiff, chapped, and laying on their back with their legs straight up in the air, they're perfectly healthy and growing. if they dont move a muscle for days, they're happy. ...what flippin WIERD little buggers!!

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
yeah, not to worry. Mine does that kind of thing all the time. Makes for some interesting photo ops at the very least:

Stitch_geevi

Arachnopeon
GOD that looks scary.... lol!
yea, i figured after the first time i saw it that it was nothing to worry about, since she showed no signes of illness since. i just had to be sure.

i get extra worried about these things because i rescued her from a petshop that had a paper saying she was only 6 months old... (she was 4.5 inches). i would naturally assume they were just lying to me if they hadnt read the number off a paper, so i take it to ACTUALLY mean she's been 6 months in captivity... meaning she's wild-caught... meaning i have no idea exactly how old she is. my biggest fear is that she's something like 10 and could be on her way out any day now...
(but i catch this crazy chick hanging from the screen, and then she proceeds to walk around on my bed for 20 minutes straight... so she cant be THAT old.)

EDIT:

i just realized thats your rosie!! wow that is one fuzzy cherry! .. mine looks like a weimaraner! lol
and this is after a 4.5 inch molt? ..thats what mine is now.. i wonder if she'll molt out those colors! :)

Last edited:

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think sometimes we catch them grooming,and they stop suddenly in the the position they wer in last........and yes,makes for some interesting photo ops