Death Curl, Molting, Or Resting?

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm a relatively new to the hobby. I've owned my first T for over a month now and am very comfortable with him. It's an assumed male A. Seemanni about 3.5 inch juvenile that is not a heavy burrower and prefers his hollow log to burrowing despite having 4 1/2 inches of substrate (cocoa fiber, Sphagnum moss mix). He is quite active at night and eats literally every time I feed him and I feed him every time he starts climbing/ wandering more than usual typically one cricket every other day. He has done this since i got him so I'm not super worried just thought to ask since I'm curious, he likes to sit either in the back of his hide or in one of the corners with his knees folded above his carapace but they're not curled inwards on the bottom. I was wondering if this is a resting stance or what, because hes very clearly not dying considering he bolts when I brush him with the paint brush. He has a full bowl of water at all time dry substrate that gets a light misting every other day. Will provide pictures if needed.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Hopefully these will work!
That is a normal posture. If he was in a death curl then his legs would be tightly cirled under him, and if molting he would be on his back.

How much dirt is in the enclosure? It looks like there needs to be a lot more dirt for a terrestrial tarantula. If they climb very high and fall they could get hurt.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hopefully these will work!
The spider just looks to be in a stressed position, not a death curl or anything like that. Was it recently rehoused ?

Looks pretty dry in there, this species does well with more moisture. They typically will burrow as well. I would offer a starter hide/burrow for a larger specimen like yours. A piece of cork bark partially buried works perfect, something like this.

Attachments

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
I absolutely don't understand why he would be stressed, the top of his tank is exactly 2 times his leg spanned as recommended and substrate is 4 1/2 inches deep I'll include a picture of the set-up but he's had that bald spot since I got him. I know what you are going to say in that its too big of a tank for such a small spider but I assure you feeding and maintenance has never been a problem and actually he's stopped kicking hair since he's got the new tank.

Attachments

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
The spider just looks to be in a stressed position, not a death curl or anything like that. Was it recently rehoused ?

Looks pretty dry in there, this species does well with more moisture. They typically will burrow as well. I would offer a starter hide/burrow for a larger specimen like yours. A piece of cork bark partially buried works perfect, something like this.
Yes he was just recently rehoused because the last one was way to small even for this fella but i will try moistening his substrate a little more toinght and see how that goes.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yes he was just recently rehoused because the last one was way to small even for this fella but i will try moistening his substrate a little more toinght and see how that goes.
It's still getting used to the new enclosure, explains the roaming behavior. With time it should acclimate.

The screen lid needs to go, tarantulas can get their feet(tarsal claws) stuck in the mesh. You can replace it with a cut piece of acrylic, and drill some holes out the top.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
It's still getting used to the new enclosure, explains the roaming behavior. With time it should acclimate.

The screen lid needs to go, tarantulas can get their feet(tarsal claws) stuck in the mesh. You can replace it with a cut piece of acrylic, and drill some holes out the top.
I know I've already installed the sliding plastic guard and have the piece of acryllic but just don't know what to cut them with.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How long ago was he rehoused? He may just need more time to settle in. (Some of my terrestrial tarantulas have taken up to two weeks to fully adjust to a new enclosure. Before acclimating, they climb a lot more often than usual.)

Aphonopelma seemanni often likes to burrow, so I might give him some deeper substrate even if he hasn't tried to burrow yet. (It will also reduce the distance of a potential fall if he climbs all the way to the top.)

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
How long ago was he rehoused? He may just need more time to settle in. (Some of my terrestrial tarantulas have taken up to two weeks to fully adjust to a new enclosure. Before acclimating, they climb a lot more often than usual.)

Aphonopelma seemanni often likes to burrow, so I might give him some deeper substrate even if he hasn't tried to burrow yet. (It will also reduce the distance of a potential fall if he climbs all the way to the top.)
It has been a little over 1 week so he could need some more time he has stopped climbing as much but still enjoys a nice stroll around the neighborhood at night. I sprayed his substrate and tomorrow i will put him in a catch cup and add another inch 1/2 to the bottom!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I had mine in a tank that was much much too big. The whole time he was in there, he basically always did the same thing yours is.
Once i rehoused him into something that wasnt AS too big (i was expecting a molt. I was and still am disappointed.), he stopped curling in a corner. There were some OTHER things i needed to fix that led to him burrowing more.
Maintenance may be easy for you, but spiders arent reptiles. Large open spaces can make them feel vulnerable. They dont need room to run around and exercise. Even if they did, they have the floors, roof, and walls to run around on.
Maybe try finding something just a wee bit smaller. And possibly even add a little more substrate.
These things worked for me when i was having similar issues.

Edit to add this link to the thread where i finally (mostly) figured my dude out: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/aphonopelma-seefreakinmani.297491/

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
I had mine in a tank that was much much too big. The whole time he was in there, he basically always did the same thing yours is.
Once i rehoused him into something that wasnt AS too big (i was expecting a molt. I was and still am disappointed.), he stopped curling in a corner. There were some OTHER things i needed to fix that led to him burrowing more.
Maintenance may be easy for you, but spiders arent reptiles. Large open spaces can make them feel vulnerable. They dont need room to run around and exercise. Even if they did, they have the floors, roof, and walls to run around on.
Maybe try finding something just a wee bit smaller. And possibly even add a little more substrate.
These things worked for me when i was having similar issues.

Edit to add this link to the thread where i finally (mostly) figured my dude out: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/aphonopelma-seefreakinmani.297491/
the only problem i have is money. I don't have very much money (im 16) so i have enough to keep crickets and substrate in the house and saving up money would be pointless cause he would probably be used to it/ molted and bigger by then.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
the only problem i have is money. I don't have very much money (im 16) so i have enough to keep crickets and substrate in the house and saving up money would be pointless cause he would probably be used to it/ molted and bigger by then.
I have mine in a sterlite tub thats roughly 16 inches deep. Costed me about 5 bucks. You can also buy massive bags of top soil (no fertilizer/pesticides) for LESS than 5 bucks.
This species tends to hide a lot, so the lack of clarity doesnt make much of a difference, although it is clear enough to see through pretty well. Just doesnt work at all in pictures.

boina

Lady of the mites
It's not really the size of the tub that's the problem, but structures. Wide open spaces will scare a tarantula. If you structure the space more, like with some fake plants or more bark so that the spider can just walk from hiding space to hiding space it will feel more secure.

When it comes to space most of my spiders have more than recommended because I like to watch their exploration behaviour among other things, but my enclosures all contain a lot of stuff - at least two bark hides and pieces of wood - to make the spider feel more secure.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
I have mine in a sterlite tub thats roughly 16 inches deep. Costed me about 5 bucks. You can also buy massive bags of top soil (no fertilizer/pesticides) for LESS than 5 bucks.
This species tends to hide a lot, so the lack of clarity doesnt make much of a difference, although it is clear enough to see through pretty well. Just doesnt work at all in pictures.
Okay ill look into a new tank.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
It's not really the size of the tub that's the problem, but structures. Wide open spaces will scare a tarantula. If you structure the space more, like with some fake plants or more bark so that the spider can just walk from hiding space to hiding space it will feel more secure.

When it comes to space most of my spiders have more than recommended because I like to watch their exploration behaviour among other things, but my enclosures all contain a lot of stuff - at least two bark hides and pieces of wood - to make the spider feel more secure.
Ill add some stuff to his tank i have some extra fake blants and some more sphagnum moss i can add thank you.