Deadly Stings

To those who watched the video, how was it?

• Good/Great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t know, man...

• It works

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good, but it’s missing something

• Not very good

• Total voters

Bob Evans

Arachnopeon
Hey so I just started a YouTube channel and uploaded a video on insects. I’d love for you guys to watch and tell me what you think! Please leave any and all suggestions you have in the comments; I will read them all and will try to respond to the most constructive.

Here’s the video link:

This isn’t a plug, but feel free to like the video and subscribe to the channel.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Some pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Fairly engaging and enthusiastic narration (out of curiosity, why are there two voices?)
  • Detailed description of sting that is short enough to not become boring
  • Music makes video feel more fast-paced, preventing it from getting bogged down.
Cons:
  • Some of the groups were more specific than others. Avoid using genera as some of your numbers (for example, Solenopsis and Pogonomyrmex were listed as entire genera), since not all stings within a genus are created equal, and the different members of a genus often don't behave the same way. If you're not sure which species to use, you can just pick one (for example, there are lots of tarantula hawks, but you could just go with Pepsis grossa for the sake of the video).
  • This is a matter of personal preference, but I like to see the Latin name of species in any media about them. Common names are hard to work with and often apply to more than one species. Latin names are one to one and onto.
  • The descriptions of stings and behaviors were fairly similar. I realize this was probably because the stings actually have similar symptoms, but if you find your script is becoming repetitive, there are two things you can do: you can either cut some of the animals (nothing wrong with a top five), or you can cut some of the details of some of the stings. At the end of the day, these videos are meant to be informative, but they're also supposed to be entertaining. If all I wanted was a list of symptoms I would go to a medical journal.
Overall, the video could use improvement, but it was certainly well done and entertaining. I think you have a lot of potential :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Apologies for the gloom and doom ahead of time.
Lose the word 'Deadly'. Sensationalism. Personally, I find giving animals a bad rap/rep is in very poor taste. Using animals to promote something while at the same time promoting an anti animal agenda some morons inevitably take to heart and use it to justify wholesale destruction of the animals and sometimes their environment.
And last, certain fish, caterpillars, crustaceans and medusozoa pack much meaner wallop.

Avoid using genera as some of your numbers
As Polistes.

Last edited: