Dead/dying Grammostola rosea

Andrew Golabek

Arachnopeon
So today checking my tarantulas cage, I noticed she was in the corner laying on the ground which was unusual, so I touched her abdomen and she was non responsive. She was seen moving the previous day. Fearing dehydration I carefully placed her fangs into her water dish, and she is there now. However I think she is dead. Her age is at least 13 years, as I’ve had her for 12 and she was pretty much fully grown when we got her. The water dish was about halfway full when I noticed this. My dad claims she cannot reach the water level when it’s less than 3/4 full and therefore “I tortured her to death”. The terrarium is kept in my bedroom and temps have been around 25 c this week.

Attached image is how I placed her in the water dish, this was not her original position.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My dad claims she cannot reach the water level when it’s less than 3/4 full and therefore “I tortured her to death”.
Your dad is wrong. She could definitely get into that water dish, even if the water was just at the very bottom. You did not "torture her to death." Her abdomen looks nice and plump - not shriveled and dehydrated. Also, temperatures of 25 c are fine.

It is unfortunate that she died - but if you got her as an adult, and have had her for 12 years, she might have just been nearing the end of her natural life. G. rosea (and G. porteri, which are often sold as G. rosea) are very slow growing spiders, so she was probably a good bit older than a year old by the time you got her.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
What @chanda Said if it was already nearly fully grown when you got it, it could ha e been a few years old by then and just lived out its natural life in captivity

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I hate putting this out there since you seem to really care about her, but to me at least, death from a fall doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. She definitely doesn't look dehydrated, and to me her appearance isn't "weathered" enough for me to suspect old age (though I could be wrong). Where you say you found her actually looks like a perfect spot for her to have climbed, fallen, hit one of the decorations, and done some internal damage.

I do hope I'm wrong though and I'm sorry for your loss

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I hate putting this out there since you seem to really care about her, but to me at least, death from a fall doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. She definitely doesn't look dehydrated, and to me her appearance isn't "weathered" enough for me to suspect old age (though I could be wrong). Where you say you found her actually looks like a perfect spot for her to have climbed, fallen, hit one of the decorations, and done some internal damage.

I do hope I'm wrong though and I'm sorry for your loss
That was my initial thought too but if she was kept in this tank for years and didn’t fall before now, it seems a little less likely. Still, heavy bodied terrestrial spiders should have no more than 1.5 times the length of their diagonal leg span between the top of the cage and the top of the substrate.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That was my initial thought too but if she was kept in this tank for years and didn’t fall before now, it seems a little less likely. Still, heavy bodied terrestrial spiders should have no more than 1.5 times the length of their diagonal leg span between the top of the cage and the top of the substrate.
Depends on the specimen some are pet rocks others climb more , I partially bury my watering dishes now so Ts can drink easier .
R.I.P. Rosie !!

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
She was clearly a very, very beautiful tarantula. I'm sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself, you did all for her and it looks like she had the best life a spider could hope for, wanting for nothing. It just looks like nature took its course and it was her time, regardless if it was with you or somewhere else.

If you're not sure if she has passed, you can wait, and after some time, if alive, surely she would have moved. Not much you can do now.

Aunyanka Alexander

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for your loss. Given that she was mature when you got her and the length of time you had her I'd agree that it was likely just her time.

If it's any consolation that setup could easily house an arboreal, if theres a spider sized hole in your heart.