daytime lighting/heat though I know most of you say noooo lights.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ah, thanks much. Is there any brand of space heater you know of or would recommend? I don't really have room for a setup similar to yours. Thanks again.
That wasn't my setup, I just linked you to the post from the guy who used the heat lamps.

I'm in the UK so probably no good asking me, I just use a small ceramic fan heater with a built in thermostat and anti-tip switch that I got from my local supermarket for £20, takes up less space than a nano tall exo terra.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Ah, thanks much. Is there any brand of space heater you know of or would recommend? I don't really have room for a setup similar to yours. Thanks again.

No.

I know of no model whereby it can be proven that zero house fires have resulted. I've never seen one ad for any of them that states that not one of their units has caused a fire and that it is impossible for that not to happen.

The user manuals for these have plenty of legal disclaimers and warning advisories contained within. Many recalls on units from multiple companies have been issued throughout the years. RTFM, M-kay?

The best thing to do is simply raise the temperature of your home to 75 degrees. Call your utility company and set up average billing whereby you pay the yearly average bill and not month per month.

Of course, you can also trade your tarantula with someone else for a cold tolerant or cool temperature species such as M robustom, but these are a very small minority of species. Most tarantulas are tropical and thrive in weather similar to that near the equator.

You can also do a micro climate or heat cabinet but the drawback to that is that a malfunction or calibration error can kill ALL of your tarantulas instead of just one cage.

There exact setup that I have described elsewhere has resulted in zero fatalities or property damage to my animals as well as no damage to others that I've talked to who have copied my setup exactly. Another words, gently warm the individual cage.

The bigger the heat source and the greater area it covers, the bigger the risk will be. Size matters and in this case, not in a good way.

The other problem with these space heaters is that they will radically reduce the humidity and do so a lot. Therefore, you will have to introduce a humidifier into the room as well further increasing your expenses. This becomes essential for moisture dependent species.

Regardless of make or model, you will have lots of static electricity within the room & this causes discomfort to humans and furry animals like cats dogs and ferrets. In humans, thirst and nosebleeds also become frequent. Arid tarantula species might not care but the owner will be miserable.

The best way to make risk impossible is to cover a very small area with a heat source that is equal to or less then the human body temperature. Obviously even a human with a high fever isn't warm enough to start a fire unless you're reading a Charles Dickens novel.

While handling tarantulas is never a good idea, there is no case of a tarantula that I know of injured by the body heat produced by the human body temperature. Therefore, it can be inferred that exposures to temps less then the human body temp are incapable of injury to a tarantula.

Having said that, NO "hot spots" of any kind within ANY accessible area to the tarantula should be present within the enclosure & an infrared thermometer of a digital type must be used to make sure that EVERY square inch is safe.

Another words, the easiest thing to do is turn your home thermostat to 75 degrees and be happy, resorting to other means only when this becomes impossible.

Last edited:

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
No.

I know of no model whereby it can be proven that zero house fires have resulted. I've never seen one ad for any of them that states that not one of their units has caused a fire and that it is impossible for that not to happen.

The user manuals for these have plenty of legal disclaimers and warning advisories contained within. Many recalls on units from multiple companies have been issued throughout the years. RTFM, M-kay?

The best thing to do is simply raise the temperature of your home to 75 degrees. Call your utility company and set up average billing whereby you pay the yearly average bill and not month per month.

Of course, you can also trade your tarantula with someone else for a cold tolerant or cool temperature species such as M robustom, but these are a very small minority of species. Most tarantulas are tropical and thrive in weather similar to that near the equator.

You can also do a micro climate or heat cabinet but the drawback to that is that a malfunction or calibration error can kill ALL of your tarantulas instead of just one cage.

There exact setup that I have described elsewhere has resulted in zero fatalities or property damage to my animals as well as no damage to others that I've talked to who have copied my setup exactly. Another words, gently warm the individual cage.

The bigger the heat source and the greater area it covers, the bigger the risk will be. Size matters and in this case, not in a good way.

The other problem with these space heaters is that they will radically reduce the humidity and do so a lot. Therefore, you will have to introduce a humidifier into the room as well further increasing your expenses. This becomes essential for moisture dependent species.

Regardless of make or model, you will have lots of static electricity within the room & this causes discomfort to humans and furry animals like cats dogs and ferrets. In humans, thirst and nosebleeds also become frequent. Arid tarantula species might not care but the owner will be miserable.

The best way to make risk impossible is to cover a very small area with a heat source that is equal to or less then the human body temperature. Obviously even a human with a high fever isn't warm enough to start a fire unless you're reading a Charles Dickens novel.

While handling tarantulas is never a good idea, there is no case of a tarantula that I know of injured by the body heat produced by the human body temperature. Therefore, it can be inferred that exposures to temps less then the human body temp are incapable of injury to a tarantula.

Having said that, NO "hot spots" of any kind within ANY accessible area to the tarantula should be present within the enclosure & an infrared thermometer of a digital type must be used to make sure that EVERY square inch is safe.

Another words, the easiest thing to do is turn your home thermostat to 75 degrees and be happy, resorting to other means only when this becomes impossible.
Saying that space heaters kill people is much like saying that spiders kill people. While it is technically true, it's also grossly misleading. There are many space heaters available that are exactly as safe to use as your central heating unit, if not safer. Do your research on what model you want, check it against Consumer Reports or a similar site, and you should be fine. You're fearmongering, not informing, I'm sad to say.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
One of my co-workers was a firefighter for almost 20 years in Baltimore City. I was discussing this with him.

During the course of his career, from one barracks in one city, he was present at over a dozen house fires started by space heaters.

This is just one firefighter.

When I was working construction, the Foreman's trailer caught fire over the weekend, but it only burned up part of the desk and wall. Luckily it went out by itself.

That fire happened in winter due to a space heater being left on over the weekend. The company removed that and installed a small heat pump in the window, much less powerful but far safer.

At least the time clock wasn't damaged.

The setups I use are the equivalent of one or two nightlights per enclosure, much much safer, not to mention less of a strain on the power grid and my wallet. They can't burn anything.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
One of my co-workers was a firefighter for almost 20 years in Baltimore City. I was discussing this with him.

During the course of his career, from one barracks in one city, he was present at over a dozen house fires started by space heaters.

When I was working construction, the Foreman's trailer caught fire over the weekend, but it only burned up part of the desk and wall. Luckily it went out by itself.

That fire happened in winter due to a space heater being left on over the weekend. The company removed that and installed a small heat pump in the window, much less powerful but far safer.

The setups I use are the equivalent of one or two nightlights per enclosure, much much safer, not to mention less of a strain on the power grid and my wallet. They can't burn anything.
Great... except that none of that addresses the point. No one here is stating that no space heater has ever caused a fire. The point is that they are not the fire-spewing daemons from the Warp that you're making them out to be. Are space heaters perfectly safe? No, of course not, since perfect safety simply doesn't exist. But they are *reasonably* safe, under the right circumstances.

StampFan

Arachnodemon

Is that the space heaters that caused the issue, or peoples' negligence with the space heater that caused the issue? Different space heaters use different technology and have different risk.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
As with any accident, it's usually always a combination of both. After all, a lot of folks get lucky or maybe they put it in a totally empty part of the room and bolt it down firmly to the floor or wall or put fire proof bricks under it or whatever.

But, I personally don't want to find out the hard way myself!!

In theory, you can smoke in a Dynamite shed as long as you put the ashtray exactly between the rows of boxes with exactly 2" of space in each side and extinguish your cigarette butts exactly in the center of the ashtray exactly parallel to the boxes.

In reality, sooner or later maybe in 20 seconds or 20 years who knows for sure ? -- KA-BOOM !!