daytime lighting/heat though I know most of you say noooo lights.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can you post a pic of how that works? you just point two high powered lamps at a window?
Last year I posted photos before on a thread. I’ll have to do it when I get home from work.
Two high powered lamps at a window? You make it sound like if the heat lamps are against the window. That’s probably why you found my post funny I suppose.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hmm, how long are they on every day? Sounds more cost effective than my space heater..

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When the temperatures drop at night I have both heat lamps on which keeps the room temperature at 80 degrees. During the day for now I just keep one of the heat lamps on not both. I turn both on for the photo.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I use heat lamps during the day for my desert scorpions (recommended temp. range 85 - 90 degs. F). I noticed on cooler days my G. pulchra will hang on her enclosure wall closest to the heat lamp (she's on the next shelf over).

spacelord

Arachnosquire
My house is pretty cold (62-65 F.) All my creatures are in my room. I don't want them to die, but I also don't want to drive up the heating bills. I turn on a space heater for a few minutes in the morning to get the temperature in my room up to about 70-72. I make sure all the doors are closed and then go about my day. When I get home, the temp has fallen a little bit. I turn it on while I check everyone's water, etc. and then off again after a minute. At night, before I go to bed, I turn it on again, usually only for a few minutes, to warm my room up for the night.

This might not work for everyone, since my room is pretty small, but it works for me, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I struggled with how to safely heat them last year and finally figured this out.
Thats probably how i will do as well it seemed to work fine today my room is rather small too. Cheers :)

@spacelord @Ashlynn Rose what species do you guys have? Some species do fine in lower temperatures and some require lower temps to be bred consistently. There may be a chance you don't even need a heater.
I just got a Brachypelma albopilosum and an a. Seemani :) they are 2.5-3 inches

I use heat lamps during the day for my desert scorpions (recommended temp. range 85 - 90 degs. F). I noticed on cooler days my G. pulchra will hang on her enclosure wall closest to the heat lamp (she's on the next shelf over).
I am using heat mats on my scorpion enclosure i need to redo it and put gravel in the bottom and run a tube through with holes all through it and put the substrate on top of that so i can run water underneathe the scorpions and have humidity fine. My scorpions are asian forrests so i think the heat lamps were a little much haha the enclosure stays around 73 to 83 degrees and the scorpions have plenty of distance so not to scorch themselfs. But i lost a juvi pink toe last week experimenting with mats and lights for the t as my first time being a noob owner ive learned alot here and hopefully theese 2 new t's i have now will prosper a long time

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have, in the past, done microclimates and heated rooms for my Ts and may do so again now that our collection is getting large and will have their own space again. We always used space heaters.

My house is pretty cold (62-65 F.) All my creatures are in my room. I don't want them to die, but I also don't want to drive up the heating bills. I turn on a space heater for a few minutes in the morning to get the temperature in my room up to about 70-72. I make sure all the doors are closed and then go about my day. When I get home, the temp has fallen a little bit. I turn it on while I check everyone's water, etc. and then off again after a minute. At night, before I go to bed, I turn it on again, usually only for a few minutes, to warm my room up for the night.

This might not work for everyone, since my room is pretty small, but it works for me, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I struggled with how to safely heat them last year and finally figured this out.
62-65° described as "pretty cold" makes me laugh... those are about the warmest temps I can tolerate comfortably LOL

I have two 250 watts heat lamps that faces the window. My room temperature is between 80 to 84 degrees. My tarantulas love it.

I’ve been using heat lamps for decades.
Hoooow do you live in a room that hot?!?!

spacelord

Arachnosquire
I have, in the past, done microclimates and heated rooms for my Ts and may do so again now that our collection is getting large and will have their own space again. We always used space heaters.

62-65° described as "pretty cold" makes me laugh... those are about the warmest temps I can tolerate comfortably LOL

Micro climates is really awesome and i would love a set up like that

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

my tarantulas are the only ones that live in the room.

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire

62-65 is cold for them, not me. I love having cold temperatures, but I know that they can't. That's why I wish I had a separate spider room that wasn't my bedroom. I often get wayyyy too warm at night with my room at 70-72.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Micro climates is really awesome and i would love a set up like that
My favourite micro climate set up I had was a jewelry store display case... there was a storage space underneath that was perfect for a space heater!

my tarantulas are the only ones that live in the room.
Oh, well that explains it then! Lol

62-65 is cold for them, not me. I love having cold temperatures, but I know that they can't. That's why I wish I had a separate spider room that wasn't my bedroom. I often get wayyyy too warm at night with my room at 70-72.
62-65 for nighttime temps is at the bottom end of okay temps for Ts, but definitely still within range!

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic

Interesting. Are the lamps controlled electronically by a thermostat?

I guess you bounce the heat off the window and back?

I did some preliminary research on safety & was unable to find reports of any fires or fatalities from pointing lamps at glass. So long as they don't hit the floor you should be fine.

I would suggest putting a rope or chain from the ceiling down to the lamps to preclude any chance of falling.

Yes, space heaters ARE dangerous!! If you research it, put the Google safe content filters on unless you want to see pictures of dead children and charred human bodies!!

"I got away with it" is a good way to get hurt.

The best thing to do is to have the fire Marshall come to examine your setup or to discuss space heaters with them. You will get a thumbs down on it.

Guess how I know that? One of my co-workers was a firefighter!!

Maybe have an HVAC professional look it over as well. This position isn't popular but do consider that your tarantulas aren't going to burst out of their cages and fight a fire in your house.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic

The G pulchra is cold. If she was in the zone, she wouldn't do that.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
But perhaps if i do it like this? Or at least until the fresh substrate i have put in dries out a little bit more? Oh and my long tank is scorpions it has heat pads on the side so it stays 73 to 70 degrees on one end and i use occasional infrared and mist twice daily and stir the sub once a week so no mold sets in. I am clean
Have you taking the temps in a higher area of the room? If the thermostat says 68 its likely 65 down near the ground and 70 or more near the ceiling. A high shelf would likely do the trick.

TheKingCornbread

Arachnopeon