DanRead's Photo thread

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
very beautiful photos!! :worship: and you have some great looking pedes too! what kind of camera/lens are you using?
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! :)

All of those pictures were taken with an Olympus c-5050, but i recently sold it and bought a Nikon d50, with a sigma 105mm macro. I'll try and get some new pede pictures with it this week for the thread.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
forgive my ingnorance, I don't know poop about centipedes. Are their "scales" clear? The look marbled, almost like you can see through them into their bodies. And are they crunchy? I have always wondered if they were hard "shelled" or if their armor is more flexible.
Beautiful pictures! I have never seen them close-up and its awesome to get the chance. But how do you manage to get ground level shots?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kasha said:
forgive my ingnorance, I don't know poop about centipedes. Are their "scales" clear? The look marbled, almost like you can see through them into their bodies. And are they crunchy? I have always wondered if they were hard "shelled" or if their armor is more flexible.
Beautiful pictures! I have never seen them close-up and its awesome to get the chance. But how do you manage to get ground level shots?
Hi Kasha,

Centipede exoskeleton isn't particularly clear, but under certain lights you can see the tracheoles (air tubes) that lay just beneith the exoskeleton. The exoskeleton isn't very thick, not like with millipedes.

I got the ground level shots by putting my camera right in the tank with them, usually when they are eating they can be very tolerant of me prodding them and getting my camera right next to them.

Cheers,

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
danread said:
Hi Kasha,

Centipede exoskeleton isn't particularly clear, but under certain lights you can see the tracheoles (air tubes) that lay just beneith the exoskeleton. The exoskeleton isn't very thick, not like with millipedes.

Cheers,
ah! you rock! i always wondered about the flame effect markings.