Dangers of tong feeding

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Also just a reminder. I don't want to know that tong feeding is bad, I want to know how bad it is. So far nobody has linked any posts about breaking fangs or talked about their own experiences with injuries.
Very rarely, after someone has been advised not to do something detrimental with their animal, will that someone come back to tell everyone that they did it anyway and something bad happened. Lots of people say they will, but they won't.

J0urney

Arachnopeon
Very rarely, after someone has been advised not to do something detrimental with their animal, will that someone come back to tell everyone that they did it anyway and something bad happened. Lots of people say they will, but they won't.
Thats a good point, I didnt even consider that. I wish there was a more objective way to figure out how common this is but ohh well. I may try and do something strange with some silicone casting matterial I have but unless I do my tong feeding is over

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats a good point, I didnt even consider that. I wish there was a more objective way to figure out how common this is but ohh well. I may try and do something strange with some silicone casting matterial I have but unless I do my tong feeding is over

Listen man, do what you want, it's your Ts life. However, what I can tell you is after raising many different Avics from sling to adult over decades, I've never had an Avic in a tube web that didn't learn there was food down below.

The exception to this can be if the T makes a complete tube, and never comes out, usually only seen for molting.

The other exception is if the container is too large. They are ambush predators. They don't go out on a stroll looking for food w/out provocation.;)

You'd be surprised by what a few invisible strands of silk tell a T.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I was literally demonstrating to a co-worker why we don't use tongs to feed our tarantulas when a tarantula ran up the tongs. The irony was not lost on me. There is no positive aspect to tong feeding, why insist on doing something when there is a demonstrably better, safer, and more effective way to feed your t's? I do not understand. You can actively damage your T in a number of ways with tong feeding. There are no pros, and multiple cons. I really don't know what else needs to be said. Don't do it.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I never tong fed, yet still managed to have a p. murinus come up my tongs when I was doing cage maintenance and up my arm onto my shoulder around to my back.
I don't get why anyone would feel the need to tong fed a healthy tarantula, just another unnecessary risk.
This is why I only do OW and feisty NW cage maintenance when the T has a massive mouthful of crickets and is busy slurping up its supper.