Danger posed to dogs by an escaped tarantula?

Piedmont

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I used to have a small T collection(I think I maxed out at 12) up until a couple of years ago, when my ex-fiancee wanted me to get rid of them because she had one of the worst cases of arachnophobia I've ever seen. We split up about 6 months ago, and I want to rebuild my collection. But, I got to keep our dog, a 60 lb lab mix. I used to have a particular fondness for my pokies, and was thinking I'd like to get a few Ornata or Regalis slings. I'm worried that when they mature, that if they were to escape, that their venom might be potent enough to kill my dog. I don't claim to know much about the potency of their venom, should I stick to safer Ts with a dog in the house?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I hear that phlogius sp. Can be lethal to dogs.. No clue if a poec can kill them..

If your that worried that you can't contain a poec don't get one.. Keep to the safer species.. There are a ton of beautiful and less toxic sp out there..

Congrats on getting back to the hobby man

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Venom potency is a hotly debated topic in this hobby, so you're unlikely to get a straight answer. However, the best advice has already been given:

If your that worried that you can't contain a poec don't get one
Accidents happen, we all understand that, but accidents really shouldn't happen with genera like this. What I will say is that I have a 25 pound schnauzer, and about a third of my collection could certainly kill her. But I'm not too worried about it, as they're all in very secure enclosures.

Last edited:

Piedmont

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I used to have a small T collection(I think I maxed out at 12) up until a couple of years ago, when my ex-fiancee wanted me to get rid of them because she had one of the worst cases of arachnophobia I've ever seen. We split up about 6 months ago, and I want to rebuild my collection. But, I got to keep our dog, a 60 lb lab mix. I used to have a particular fondness for my pokies, and was thinking I'd like to get a few Ornata or Regalis slings. I'm worried that when they mature, that if they were to escape, that their venom might be potent enough to kill my dog. I don't claim to know much about the potency of their venom, should I stick to safer Ts with a dog in the house?

You are all probably right, so I'll probably stick to slower species. I only ask because one of my P. Ornatas tagged me a few years back when I was feeding her and she escaped for a few minutes. I can't guarantee that won't happen again, so better safe than sorry.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You are all probably right, so I'll probably stick to slower species. I only ask because one of my P. Ornatas tagged me a few years back when I was feeding her and she escaped for a few minutes. I can't guarantee that won't happen again, so better safe than sorry.
A. geniculata
P. cancerides
H. sp. "Columbia"
T. stirmi
A. seemanni
N. coloratovillosus

There's a short list of spiders that have some serious attitude/takedowns but also have insignificant venom :) Enjoy!

cold blood

Staff member
A LOT depends on your dog. Its a bigger issue if you have one of those crazy, partly trained dog. A good dog won't go mucking around your ts, and may even alert you to the presence of an escapee....that said, just house them properly and its a non issue...unless you have a crazy dog prone to knocking stuff over;)

I have an extra room for the ts, but frankly all summer the door's open and the dog has access, she even lays in there with me when I'm feeding in the winter as she likes the heater. I do not open OW arboreal enclosures when she's in there though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A LOT depends on your dog. Its a bigger issue if you have one of those crazy, partly trained dog. A good dog won't go mucking around your ts, and may even alert you to the presence of an escapee....that said, just house them properly and its a non issue...unless you have a crazy dog prone to knocking stuff over;)

I have an extra room for the ts, but frankly all summer the door's open and the dog has access, she even lays in there with me when I'm feeding in the winter as she likes the heater. I do not open OW arboreal enclosures when she's in there though.
I'm so glad that you brought this up. My dog certainly knows the difference in enclosures I have. She's my feeding partner with the NW's - she loves to watch the T. stirmi eat. On the species that are prone to scurry, I put the enclosure in the middle of the floor with a catch cup nearby. When she sees me doing this, she hops up onto the chair and watches from afar... just like I trained her to. On more than one occasion, I've had a runner and my dog didn't chase after it. She understand that those are pets, not toys. But like you said, I wouldn't risk that with an OW species. She leaves the room for those.

The same can't be said with roaches. She is always with me when I clean roach containers, because she's my hunter. I've trained her to hunt down and kill any escaped roaches, making my job much easier. She is a terrier, after all. Needless to say, she loves roach cleaning time.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I believe all Ts no matter if OW or NW pose a threat to dogs and cats no matter the size of your pet.

Until it has been proven otherwise, I expect that the worst will happen.

I'd say best to keep the Ts locked up in a room that your dog/cat cannot access to while unsupervised. Rather be safe rather than sorry.

Call me paranoid but a toad killed my best friend(dog) in October last year and ever since then I have been over-cautious.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm so glad that you brought this up. My dog certainly knows the difference in enclosures I have. She's my feeding partner with the NW's - she loves to watch the T. stirmi eat. On the species that are prone to scurry, I put the enclosure in the middle of the floor with a catch cup nearby. When she sees me doing this, she hops up onto the chair and watches from afar... just like I trained her to. On more than one occasion, I've had a runner and my dog didn't chase after it. She understand that those are pets, not toys. But like you said, I wouldn't risk that with an OW species. She leaves the room for those.

The same can't be said with roaches. She is always with me when I clean roach containers, because she's my hunter. I've trained her to hunt down and kill any escaped roaches, making my job much easier. She is a terrier, after all. Needless to say, she loves roach cleaning time.
What dog breed do you have?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I have a beagle and he doesn't care one bit when I hold my T. He just looks at it for a second and then he ignores it. So maybe your dog wouldn't care if it got out and wouldn't even try to approach the T.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I have two cats and a dog, and the dog is terrified of all small animals (back when I had mantids, I'd set one down, and the moment it started walking towards her she'd run) and the spiders move so little and such, the cats dont take notice, even during feeding time.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
There is a study (Bites by spiders of the family Theraphosidae in humans and canines) in Australia, all 7 dogs that were bitten, died. Even 40kg dogs. The venom appears to have much greater clinical effects on canines.

T's aren't life threatening towards humans, but canines and small pets is another matter entirely - with regards to OW's. That study is only a small sample size, but the evidence given, is more than enough to suggest they're capable of posing a serious risk to your furry friends.

I wouldn't say don't keep them, but you just need to be fastidious in the way you keep them/deal with them, for the sake of your pet.

On the species that are prone to scurry, I put the enclosure in the middle of the floor with a catch cup nearby. When she sees me doing this, she hops up onto the chair and watches from afar... just like I trained her to.

Haha, dogs are so cute.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There is a study (Bites by spiders of the family Theraphosidae in humans and canines) in Australia, all 7 dogs that were bitten, died. Even 40kg dogs. The venom appears to have much greater clinical effects on canines.

T's aren't life threatening towards humans, but canines and small pets is another matter entirely - with regards to OW's. That study is only a small sample size, but the evidence given, is more than enough to suggest they're capable of posing a serious risk to your furry friends.

I wouldn't say don't keep them, but you just need to be fastidious in the way you keep them/deal with them, for the sake of your pet.

Haha, dogs are so cute.
I have read those papers and that is why its just not worth the risk.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hello all,

I am not sure that maturity of the T has any impact on the potency. It will likely have an impact on the depth of the fang insertion and maybe the volume of venom available. T's quite often have a knack to sit very still. Dogs have a knack to sniff things - not good.

I wouldn't say don't keep them, but you just need to be fastidious in the way you keep them/deal with them, for the sake of your pet....
I know you are talking about the OP since they have an OW, but this threat is likely real for certain NW T's as well. Avicularia Urticans (for example) had a quicker kill time in the lab on mice than some OW T's. Who knows what that means for dogs and cats, but it isn't something that should be tested by any T owner.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's a huge assortment of NW tarantulas available today, you can have a pretty impressive collection with them. No need for OW's if there's a risk factor in your home situation.

Piedmont

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I don't know if I should own anything beyond slow new world terrestrials based on the information you guys have presented. If the venom is significantly more potent to canines, then I probably shouldn't own ANYTHING I think could possibly escape. I might have to feed my T's by putting their enclosures in a large plastic tub and then feeding them just for an extra containment wall in case somehow one of the slowpokes gets past me. I will probably be purchasing a multi-bedroom house/condo in the next 3-4 years, I suppose I can wait till I have a T room for the pokies and such.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Ok, so I don't know if I should own anything beyond slow new world terrestrials based on the information you guys have presented. If the venom is significantly more potent to canines, then I probably shouldn't own ANYTHING I think could possibly escape. I might have to feed my T's by putting their enclosures in a large plastic tub and then feeding them just for an extra containment wall in case somehow one of the slowpokes gets past me. I will probably be purchasing a multi-bedroom house/condo in the next 3-4 years, I suppose I can wait till I have a T room for the pokies and such.
Take them in the bathtub to feed them!