Danger, Danger, Danger!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If your an optomist like me I got lucky twice tonight :).. If your a pessimist then I guess I'm not so lucky

So earlier while checking waters and spot cleaning I decided to snag a few pics for Instagram like usual..one species I never can get a pic of is my 5 inch P.muticus.. Now I hate bothering my tarantulas but I haven't seen more than a few legs or a glimpse of her butt in about 5 months.. So I decided hell with it I'll tip her hide up and snag a quick picture..
So stupidly I used my fingers to dig up and lift her hide.. Well she shot out and up the other end and made it to my fingers in almost an instant.. Luckily the feeling of my skin detested her and she threw a threat display immediately followed by a hard slap.. I had just enough time to get my finger tips away from her.. If she hadn't slapped me and chose to bite instead I wouldn't have been able to avoid it..

So now laying in bed I heard rustling coming from my Ornata's Exo-terra.. She is large pushing 8 inches so the sound of her going bump in the night isn't all that uncommon.. Well, it kept going on and too intense for it to be just the normal sound of a pokie slinking about it's enclosure..
I decided to grab my red flashlight and take a quick peek.. What I saw has me a bit un-nerved.. She was hunkered in the corner pushing hard against the mesh lid.. Enough so that I could hear the lid moving up and back slightly.. I was pretty astonished that her,the sweet little angel that she is (really she is) was so eager to escape.. At first,I actually thought it was cute ,the same way a mischievous child is cute, as long as they are causing harmless trouble.. Well the cuteness ended when she climbed onto the lid and started chewing on the screen :doctor:... She was biting it hard and pulling like a spotted hyena stripping flesh off of a fallen water buffalo..
I have watched her now atleast two or three times a week for the last almost three years and she has never acted like this.. I put a heavy sketch book that covers the screen on top of the enclosure along with a heavier book on top of that untill I can get some acrylic tomorrow..

I have been using Exo's for along time and never had a Tarantula try to chew through the screen.. This narrowly avoided disaster is enough.. I don't know that she could of gotten through it. It doesn't look beat up or damaged but I did catch her early so who knows if she could of made it through..I will be covering the mesh on all my Exo's just to be safe.

Feel free to bash me for not using tong's.. Honestly I should of learned along time ago not to put my fingers where they don't belong. In the spirit of transparency I still haven't learned the lesson.. Guess old habits die hard..

Anyways feel free to share some of your close calls down below if you like..

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't call it a close call per se. But my fiance once accidentally dumped a whole container of lobster roaches into his versicolor's enclosure cause he thought he could feed her without tongs ._.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So earlier while checking waters and spot cleaning I decided to snag a few pics for Instagram like usual..one species I never can get a pic of is my 5 inch P.muticus.. Now I hate bothering my tarantulas but I haven't seen more than a few legs or a glimpse of her butt in about 5 months.. So I decided hell with it I'll tip her hide up and snag a quick picture..
This happened because you were moved by heresy (to upload a Goddess* picture at all costs) instead of being happy to witness only 'few legs' or 'a glimpse of her butt', because only the Goddess* can decide the right moment for let you do that :bookworm:

Nonetheless, our magnanimous, splendid, triumphant etc :angelic: hissing Mother decided to spare you: this is the supreme lesson that the Goddess* decided to teach to you, a priceless one :writer:

So now you are a better man, an enriched man, in the body and in the spirit.

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Pelinobius muticus.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If your an optomist like me I got lucky twice tonight :).. If your a pessimist then I guess I'm not so lucky

So stupidly I used my fingers to dig up and lift her hide.. Well she shot out and up the other end and made it to my fingers in almost an instant.. Luckily the feeling of my skin detested her and she threw a threat display immediately followed by a hard slap.. I had just enough time to get my finger tips away from her.. If she hadn't slapped me and chose to bite instead I wouldn't have been able to avoid it..

So now laying in bed I heard rustling coming from my Ornata's Exo-terra.. She is large pushing 8 inches so the sound of her going bump in the night isn't all that uncommon.. Well, it kept going on and too intense for it to be just the normal sound of a pokie slinking about it's enclosure..
I decided to grab my red flashlight and take a quick peek.. What I saw has me a bit un-nerved.. She was hunkered in the corner pushing hard against the mesh lid.. Enough so that I could hear the lid moving up and back slightly.. I was pretty astonished that her,the sweet little angel that she is (really she is) was so eager to escape.. At first,I actually thought it was cute ,the same way a mischievous child is cute, as long as they are causing harmless trouble.. Well the cuteness ended when she climbed onto the lid and started chewing on the screen :doctor:... She was biting it hard and pulling like a spotted hyena stripping flesh off of a fallen water buffalo..
I have watched her now atleast two or three times a week for the last almost three years and she has never acted like this.. I put a heavy sketch book that covers the screen on top of the enclosure along with a heavier book on top of that untill I can get some acrylic tomorrow..

I have been using Exo's for along time and never had a Tarantula try to chew through the screen.. This narrowly avoided disaster is enough.. I don't know that she could of gotten through it. It doesn't look beat up or damaged but I did catch her early so who knows if she could of made it through..I will be covering the mesh on all my Exo's just to be safe.

Feel free to bash me for not using tong's.. Honestly I should of learned along time ago not to put my fingers where they don't belong. In the spirit of transparency I still haven't learned the lesson.. Guess old habits die hard..

Anyways feel free to share some of your close calls down below if you like..
It is possible for them to chew through it. Remember the "Eight Legged Can Openers" thread? That one was quite the eye opener.

Also, another large concern would be breaking one or both fangs in the attempt to chew through it.

Good on you for getting the acrylic going.

Most of my collection live in Kritter Keepers with double lids. I use duct tape to attach two lids together. Kritter Keeper lids are not really high up on the list of materials that I see them chewing through regularly on the boards (or elsewhere) but even if somehow one of them did manage to get through a lid there is a whole second lid and more than likely the spider would get stuck between.

Unfortunately it is a contingency for others I currently live with. They rather the spider be at risk for its life than for escape. :meh:

This is all "worst case scenario" type preparation though.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
One time I picked up my L. difficilis’ water dish out of her enclosure with my hand instead of tongs. I must’ve rustled up some hairs in there because I had rashes on both my forearms for a good week afterwards :mask:. Lesson learned...

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Most of my collection live in Kritter Keepers with double lids. I use duct tape to attach two lids together. Kritter Keeper lids are not really high up on the list of materials that I see them chewing through regularly on the boards (or elsewhere) but even if somehow one of them did manage to get through a lid there is a whole second lid and more than likely the spider would get stuck between.
I don't know if this would work for T's, but when I moved my Harvestmen into a Critter Keeper I lined the inside of the lid with 14 mesh plastic canvas to keep the tiny babies from getting out. It's kind of a pain to line around the small door, but leaves plenty of ventilation and would keep a spider from getting a leg stuck.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know if this would work for T's, but when I moved my Harvestmen into a Critter Keeper I lined the inside of the lid with 14 mesh plastic canvas to keep the tiny babies from getting out. It's kind of a pain to line around the small door, but leaves plenty of ventilation and would keep a spider from getting a leg stuck.
The duct tape is on the outside. No risk of the Spider getting stuck on it.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I should have specified, I didn't mean stuck on the tape but stuck in the slats in the lid.
Yes, it can happen. It happened to one of my B. albopilosum. I created a thread about it a few months ago.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It's not sad at all :)

You just need to 'please update your account to enable 3RD party hostings': the Internet needs to move this way, aka 'paying for having a better service/quality' etc

:troll:
4D449552-EB07-4ADB-B9F6-05FB95C8938A.jpeg

Uh... I’ll say no to this.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This happened because you were moved by heresy (to upload a Goddess* picture at all costs) instead of being happy to witness only 'few legs' or 'a glimpse of her butt', because only the Goddess* can decide the right moment for let you do that :bookworm:

Nonetheless, our magnanimous, splendid, triumphant etc :angelic: hissing Mother decided to spare you: this is the supreme lesson that the Goddess* decided to teach to you, a priceless one :writer:

So now you are a better man, an enriched man, in the body and in the spirit.

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

View attachment 259950
:angelic:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It is possible for them to chew through it. Remember the "Eight Legged Can Openers" thread? That one was quite the eye opener.

Also, another large concern would be breaking one or both fangs in the attempt to chew through it.

Good on you for getting the acrylic going.

Unfortunately it is a contingency for others I currently live with. They rather the spider be at risk for its life than for escape. :meh:

This is all "worst case scenario" type preparation though.
No I don't remeber it lol. I will have to look it up.. I do believe she would of been able to get through the mesh on the lid.. I just didn't want to state it as a fact that she would have because I can't see into the future. Lol..

I can say she didn't make it through the mesh during the night. I don't know if she tried again after I caught her but it doesn't look like she did.. The screen doesn't look chewed or anything.

I'm taking this escape attempt as a sign that she isn't happy in her enclsoure anymore so I am going to re arrange it.. She is a calm and gentle Tarantula so I'm equating ot to boredom as stupid as that sounds. She is one of my most active Tarantulas and regularly paces her enclosure.. I think she wants a change of scenery. I don't know I think pokies are rather intelligent compared to alot of Tarantulas so in my mind it makes sence.. Lol..

Ya know I really don't think she could break a fang on that screen.. She is a big robust girl.. In all honesty she could probably cut through it like she is a light saber.. Lol.. Even then the acrylic has it's risks.. If she gets a fang out of a hole and yanks hard enough I think her fangs would give before the acrylic.. Hopefully that doesn't happen..

Unfortunaely the day got away from me so I haven't even managed to get to home depot to get acrylic.. I'm hopeing I can get there after I get dinner done.. If not I will have to head over tomorrow.. Untill then she is being held prisoner by a sketch pad and an book on biology..

Really I have no problem with her coming out to visit.. I just don't want it being at 4am unsupervised.. She may get lost :(.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's really not fair talking about my girl behind her back. I should bring her into the convo.. This pic was taken about 2 hrs before the escape attempt.. 20171208_215452.jpg she was just hanging out acting all innocent..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
One time I picked up my L. difficilis’ water dish out of her enclosure with my hand instead of tongs. I must’ve rustled up some hairs in there because I had rashes on both my forearms for a good week afterwards :mask:. Lesson learned...
I do that regularly.. I'm such a hypocrite. Lol.. Always telling people to use tongs and what not..

I will however never prod one of those friendly A.metallica's out of a deli cup with my fingers again.. I did that with one of my 3 females "who's now referred to as the psyco metallica" when I first brought her home. She swung around and almost owned me.. She is such a miserable sob. I have never seen such an irritable metallica in my life!