Damon Medius starting & enclosure Q's

Molonious

Arachnopeon
Hello,

New to the board here, but not super new to arachnids. I used to have an Emperor Scorpion about a bit over a decade ago that I picked up at Petco for $5, and that lived a decent and happy life for about 3 or 4 years after I got him. I was interested in getting another one recently but they appear to have become much more expensive and rare and I remembered that they spent most of their time hidden away.

I was thinking of tailless whip scorpions, as they seem even more docile than Emperor Scorpions and don't have to deal with potential stings (though I never saw mine try and ever sting), and found a couple places online with Damon Medius for sale.

Anyway, I wanted to get something weird and interesting looking, ideally that I may even be able to keep several of together, and they seemed to fit the bill. Not really interested in breeding, I wouldn't know what to do with babies, but really just want 2 or 3 big bugs that look unique and will just do their thing.

Without knowing sex ahead of time, if I picked up two or three, would it be possible to house them together, and if so, worst case scenario assuming I manage to get sent 3 males, how big of an enclosure would I need to prevent them killing each other? I have a nice countertop that's not in direct sunlight but is visible from most of the apartment that I can put as large of an enclosure on as I want provided its no more than 14" wide (but can be several feet long and 12-24" tall if need be). Are there any precautions about housing them together? Is there anything else I could house with them that won't be an issue (e.g. a millipede)?

Likewise, how temperature sensitive are these guys? My apartment can sometimes get to be in the 40's during the winter (though its usually heated, and most of the year it's in the 60's-80's), I want to be sure that won't harm them as long as I keep a heating pad or two on the enclosure itself.

Thanks in advance for the help!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Damon tend not to play as nicely together as some of the phrynids, so I probably wouldn't recommend a communal enclosure, unless you have lots of hiding spots and feed them regularly. If you set something up there you'll want to make sure it has access to some dark cracks and crevices to get away from the light. 70-80F is fine, though I'm sure they wouldn't say no to a bit more heat. In the 40's is way too low, but if you add a couple heat mats that should help. Humidity will be really important, so make sure you have a way to keep it humid, especially with D. medius.