Damon diadema and medius comparison

aphono

Arachnobaron
Agree it's a medius. Appears to be healthy, non stressed specimen. Could have been captive bred or been in captivity with proper care for a long time already.

Sexing by pedipalp size is not reliable for this species. Female pedipalps extending past the leg joint isn't so rare. Ventral sexing is more reliable.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Agree it's a medius. Appears to be healthy, non stressed specimen. Could have been captive bred or been in captivity with proper care for a long time already.

Sexing by pedipalp size is not reliable for this species. Female pedipalps extending past the leg joint isn't so rare. Ventral sexing is more reliable.
Pedipalp sexing still works but it’s not as blatantly obvious like diadema. It’s better if you have both a male and female and compare the 2.

DrNormalman

Arachnopeon

I cant do the ventral sexing right now, looking closely looks like a male, but i have a picture of the last molting and to me looks female

Attachments

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It looks like a male. My female’s vents seen less smooth and a bit more pinched, but then again I could be wrong.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
It's not. Regardless of the genital operculum's shape, if you see a patch of red hairs on the underside of a Phrynichid abdomen, it means it's a female.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
2F157C03-1BAA-4F31-8D7E-8DFCEC767C06.jpeg Does mine look male or female? I’m not sure if I’m missing the hairs bc I’m colorblind or if they’re just not present but I haven’t seen them on any of the other pictures here. It is D. medius by the way.