Damn mealworm!

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Lost one of my Avic slings the other day mid molt.....due to a rogue mealworm. The little b*stard had popped out of the substrate (I genuinely forgot it was in there) and at full stretch was munching at my soft T at the top of the enclosure. I was quite pissed off to say the least (with myself more than anything). So dont be an idiot like me, make sure you take every feeder out of pre molt T enclosures! Lesson learnt the hard way. :(

aphono

Arachnobaron
That sucks! I do hate how the mealworms are so quick to burrow down. I've taken to crushing the head of every single one because of this. Unless a spider seems particularly hungry and likely to respond immediately or responds quick to prey like the GBB, if they don't hit it right away the mealworm is taken out- no overnighters!

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
I've stopped using them to feed my slings now. Like you said, they are a pain in the ass when they burrow. And if you have a short attention span like me then its easy to forget they're in there until they pop up looking for food. Easier to use small crickets (with mushed in heads! ;) ).

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can't recommend green/blue bottle flies enough for slings. They're entirely harmless and pose zero threat to a moulting T.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm sorry you lost it :(
I would like to refer to this thread if someone comes in with a question like 'mealie buried itself, should i get it out or not?' again, if that's okay with you?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Lost one of my Avic slings the other day mid molt.....due to a rogue mealworm. The little b*stard had popped out of the substrate (I genuinely forgot it was in there) and at full stretch was munching at my soft T at the top of the enclosure. I was quite pissed off to say the least (with myself more than anything). So dont be an idiot like me, make sure you take every feeder out of pre molt T enclosures! Lesson learnt the hard way. :(
I only feed my slings waxworms. They're harmless, and if one does burrow down, it turns into an equally harmless moth. When I do feed slings live food, I feed pinhead crickets via tongs. Directly in front of the sling. I'm mainly dealing with Psalmies, Pokies, and baboons though so its rare that my tarantulas aren't aggressive feeders

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I only feed my slings waxworms. They're harmless, and if one does burrow down, it turns into an equally harmless moth. When I do feed slings live food, I feed pinhead crickets via tongs. Directly in front of the sling. I'm mainly dealing with Psalmies, Pokies, and baboons though so its rare that my tarantulas aren't aggressive feeders
If you believe wax worms are harmless you need to see their mouth parts. They will eat a T just as fast as a meal worm. I know from personnel experience, I lost an Avic juvenile that was premolt and the waxworm crawled up into its web and chowed right down the heart line. There are many threads here with keepers being informed "To always crush the head of any worm"

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
If you believe wax worms are harmless you need to see their mouth parts. They will eat a T just as fast as a meal worm. I know from personnel experience, I lost an Avic juvenile that was premolt and the waxworm crawled up into its web and chowed right down the heart line. There are many threads here with keepers being informed "To always crush the head of any worm"
Never had it happen personally. And that's in fifteen years of keeping. I've had the beetles superworms turn into eat a tarantula but that's it.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Also I only keep aggressive species. I may get a Caribena or an Avic pupurea/metallica if I can find a cheap enough female. But aside from Ephebopus, Psalmopoeus, Phormictopus, and Pamphobeteus, I'm not really interested in new words. Maybe an A.geniculatta or Nandhu Chromatus might strike me one day.

cold blood

Staff member
There are many threads here with keepers being informed "To always crush the head of any worm"
Thats it....its not that one needs to avoid worms, theyre all great feeders, its as simple as just crushing heads. Almost all feeders can eat a molting t.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've not had any experience with wax worms (as pet feeders) because as a bee keeper they are one of my most hated nemesis. I do know they can chew apart and consume plastic (actually digesting it, breaking the plastic down). If they are able to do that I'd have to think they would be able to harm a soft T if given the chance.

It's just a good rule of thumb to crush the worm (and other insect) heads when feeding IMO. I'd rather lose a feeder or two because the T wasn't hungry (and I crushed it's head) then to risk issues with a worm or roach showing back up during a molt.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I've not had any experience with wax worms (as pet feeders) because as a bee keeper they are one of my most hated nemesis. I do know they can chew apart and consume plastic (actually digesting it, breaking the plastic down). If they are able to do that I'd have to think they would be able to harm a soft T if given the chance.

It's just a good rule of thumb to crush the worm (and other insect) heads when feeding IMO. I'd rather lose a feeder or two because the T wasn't hungry (and I crushed it's head) then to risk issues with a worm or roach showing back up during a molt.
I could probably get away with it with some of my ts. My E.Murinus and C.Minax need quickly moving, outside of whole supers, crickets, and red runners I can't spark their interest. The others wouldn't care. Heck most of mine grab food out of the air

forfun

Arachnopeon
A mealworm is burrowed into the substrate where a p.cambredgi sling lives as we speak. I usually put the mealworm into the webbing and if i dont get a reaction i just take it away since this p.cambridgei sling attacks in under 1 sec if its hungry. This time the P.cam sling refused meal so i tried pick the mealworm but i failed hard. When i tried to pick it up it burrowed super fast into the substrate. After a while the mealworm came up to cork bark and i failed again to pick it up. This is a lighting fast mealworm and i hope i can get it out soon :x

Last edited:

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
A mealworm is burrowed into the substrate where a p.cambredgi sling lives as we speak. I usually put the mealworm into the webbing and if i dont get a reaction i just take it away since this p.cambridgei sling attacks in under 1 sec if its hungry. This time the P.cam sling refused meal so i tried pick the mealworm but i failed hard. When i tried to pick it up it burrowed super fast into the substrate. After a while the mealworm came up to cork bark and i failed again to pick it up. This is a lighting fast mealworm and i hope i can get it out soon :x
Keep an eye out for it and get it out ASAP. Or put the T in another container if possible. A few days ago I would have said that was overkill, but after seeing that mealworm 'stood' on its hind quarters munching away at my T, it opened my eyes as to how vulnerable molting T's are.

forfun

Arachnopeon
Keep an eye out for it and get it out ASAP. Or put the T in another container if possible. A few days ago I would have said that was overkill, but after seeing that mealworm 'stood' on its hind quarters munching away at my T, it opened my eyes as to how vulnerable molting T's are.
Yeah i will try to. I dont wanna mess up whole web hiding spot behind the cork bark but that's what i maybe have to do. I wait til tomorrow (night here) i put a cricket leg into the enclosure so if i am lucky i see the mealworm chew on it tomorrow.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Yeah i will try to. I dont wanna mess up whole web hiding spot behind the cork bark but that's what i maybe have to do. I wait til tomorrow (night here) i put a cricket leg into the enclosure so if i am lucky i see the mealworm chew on it tomorrow.
Good luck! Hopefully you'll get it out without disturbing anything. They can be a nightmare to remove. I've had to harpoon a few with a needle before now! :D

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I had to sift through rosie's substrate a couple years ago to find a burrowed mealie, not fun.

I've never heard of waxies being a threat to Ts before.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
That sucks! I do hate how the mealworms are so quick to burrow down. I've taken to crushing the head of every single one because of this. Unless a spider seems particularly hungry and likely to respond immediately or responds quick to prey like the GBB, if they don't hit it right away the mealworm is taken out- no overnighters!
That sucks dude. Will be sure.
Thank goodness my Ts don't like meal worm.