Daddy long legs or B vagans

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Who do you thinkll win?
Full-grown daddylonglegs, many of them . . .
1/2-3/4" vagans sling.

The reason I ask . . . ???
You dont wanna even know . . . :rolleyes:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In a fight?

I think your escaped sling is going to be well fed.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Think so?

The daddy long legs closest to the floor are the biggest ones, they can handle full-grown crix . . .

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There might be a juvie widow down there too, looks like it by the outline, its in the back.

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I was a kid they fascinated me, for hours. Must of been their legs. O.k., so I lived a sheltered life.:D

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think so. You are talking about the wandering ones (harvestmen), aren't you?

Although, I haven't really observed these in any detail. My answer is based on me thinking they look rather fragile.

Think so?

The daddy long legs closest to the floor are the biggest ones, they can handle full-grown crix . . .

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dunno about no harvestmen, Im talking about the cellar spiders . . .

pholcus phalangioides

They are fragile, but like I said- they are huge and have taken down big crix . . .

At any rate, I cant find the little guy, so Im just wondering what his chances of "running the gauntlet" are?
Theres gotta be at least 15 DLLs, and that widow-lookin spider.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pholcidae spiders have been documented to be adept at killing and eating big house spiders (Tegenaria) many times their size. Your sling will unfortunately become fodder.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pholcidae spiders have been documented to be adept at killing and eating big house spiders (Tegenaria) many times their size. Your sling will unfortunately become fodder.
As I just recieved 10/1 freebie of them, I really am kinda hoping this is the outcome . . .
I cant find it, and I dont wanna find it next year . . . the hard way :eek:

I know it seems bad, but at least Im honest.
I left the top to its vial ajar, and it climbed out and dissappeared.
I aint pullin the whole room aprt to find it, Ill keep an eye out(and on the DLL webs) . . .

Id say its chances for survival are slim, as the wild-spider population is thriving.
Tho if it does find a secluded safe spot, it will also thrive, as long as it stays in that room.
I have some actual Darwinism going on in my house, right now.
Only the strong survive!!!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how cool would it be if it makes it though and you find it months from now twice the size?

one can dream...

(edit: spelling)

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how cool would it be if it makes it though and you find it months from now twice the size?

one can dream...

(edit: spelling)
Depends on the method used(or not used ;) ) to find it.
I dont really want it to find me . . .

Mr. Gone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a good link for spider urban legends like these. For those who don't like links; here is the article in full:

Myth: The daddy-longlegs has the world's most powerful venom, but fortunately its jaws (fangs) are so small that it can't bite you.

Fact: That is a full-fledged Urban Legend, with no basis in fact whatever. This legend is so widespread that many people believe it who should really know better, including some teachers and TV documentary producers.

Three different unrelated groups are called "daddy-longlegs." Harvestmen (below left) have no venom of any kind. None at all! Same with crane flies (below right). Pholcid spiders (below center) have venom (like almost all spiders) but there's nothing special about it; in fact, a recent study showed that pholcid venom is unusually weak in its effect on insects. This myth is debunked at greater length on Rick Vetter's web site.