1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dactylotum bicolor

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by MrMatt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. MrMatt

MrMatt Arachnoknight Old Timer

Just a beautiful hopper I photographed while walking. These have always amazed me and had to share.

Attached Files:

2. Malhavoc's

Malhavoc's Arachnoking Old Timer

look almost painted, I wonder what purpose the colours serve
  3. What

What Arachnoprince

Hope you dont mind me sharing a photo I took a few yrs back, but here it is. Click for larger.

4. MrMatt

The color is a warning to would be predator, they have poisonous/bitter properties obtained from the plants they eat (as is my understanding). The common name is rainbow or painted grasshopper very fitting as you noticed. They are smallish get between 3-4cm (the one pictured is about 3.5cm).
  5. MrMatt

Not at all. Lovely critters. More pictures the merrier ;)

Here is a nymph my daughter found earlier this year,

Attached Files:

6. Malhavoc's

Malhavoc's Arachnoking Old Timer

thank you for clarifying for me, and yes the common names usualy are obvious, it keeps it eaiser to go " ya know, that spider that chases ya for a mile and shootz lazors out of its eyes" 'oh you mean a solfugid"

anyway *grins*

that is fascinating I always did llike the various defene mechanisms against predators, I was truely stunned when the chemicles lady bugs emplore will even deter jumping spiders! however, less so the spiders that employ web to catch their prey
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. MrMatt

hehehe I love that.
  8. Violet

Violet Arachnosquire

Those are some intense colours, real eye candy.