• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Cyriopagopus sp. "Singapore Blue"

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The juvenile that hit me was about 3". It had buried itself, and I wanted it to be visible for the San Jose Reptile Show. (11/12 /06).
I chased it out of its burrow, and it promptly tagged me with both fangs on my right hand. No big deal, I thought, and I secured it back in its oversized deli cup container. Jenna and Kevin from LLL Reptile came by to check on me , as it happened moments before I said good morning to them. There wasn't any pain, only a SLIGHT paralysis in my right hand. The paralysis subsided within 15 minutes. Throughout the day I was able to conduct business as usual; I just had, and do have to this day, a pretty non-eventful bite from a Cyriopagopus sp. Singapore Blue.
I'll try harder next time.
-chris
www. krazy8sinvertebrates.com

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, got tagged about 25 mins ago. the criminal is about 3.5''. it got some of its webbing on it, and some of the webbing has rolled into a thin and durable string and wrapped around it's abdomen and carapace...it will probably cause some molt complications, so i tried to remove it.

it was harder than i thought, and during the heat of me trying to cut the webbing lose, it jumped onto my right hand, while it can't get free cuz my left hand was holding one end of the webbing string, so it started biting my right ring finger. i thought they probably aren't even that powerful anyways so i concentrated on removing the webbing...so it got about 15 secs to pump in that venom and it sure took advantage of that chance (thanks for feeding all this time!). well i finally got the webbing off, and pain started to kick in and my finger soon swelled to about 1.5x normal size. my right hand is also sweating purfusely, but now it seems the pain if fading away and only the swelling is left...lets see how long it's gonna last.

lesson learned though, even at that size an old world can still pack a punch...especially if it pumps for 15 secs...:cool:

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so it's about 1 night of rest and 15 hours later...the swelling went away but there's still some stiffness in the finger and the hand. feels exactly like a jammed finger in basketball.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's now almost exactly 5 days later, my right hand is still darker (has faded a lot) than my left, esp the veins still popping out and darker as well...

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's now two weeks and my veins on the right hand are still noticeably darker...

just remember that they are very reluctant to bite...i got bitten basically because i was begging for it...for the spider's own good, though. :evil:

minpod

Arachnopeon
Day 1 (31 Dec 2011)
I managed to handle my 5" singapore blue once before so I thought I'd give it another go. The moment she came into contact with me she sank those fangs into the palm of my left hand, hung on for a few seconds then promptly retreated.
Hurt like hell. Puncture marks were almost invisible and no bleeding. The whole hand felt sort of paralysed at first, and also felt really hot. Put on a cold compress.
5 hours later, most of the pain had subsided and the cold compress really helped to ease the pain and heat. Hand felt stiff and sore, red on both sides. The muscles of my whole left arm felt sore especially at the joints.

Day 2
Almost no pain at all. Just sore and red. Cold compress not needed anymore.

Day 4 (today)
Hand still feels a tiny bit sore and stiff but otherwise nothing serious. Arm muscles also feel a bit sore.

All in all, pretty uneventful, but a good first tarantula bite experience since joining the hobby 2 years ago :biggrin: