Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati Sling...ages and stages?

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
My cyriopagopus so. Hati Hati sling is lovely. And I am glad to have it. However, I have never raised a spider from a sling before.

Any information re: ages and stages would be great (think...childhood milestones, but for an OW Arboreal tarantula).

Aware that they tend to burrow. When rehousing from the little enclosure I brought her home in, I used my feeding tongs to make a few deep holes in the substrate, which baby has enjoyed hiding in.

How often do they normally surface? Apparently it came up out of the burrow to eat a small cricket while I was at work, bc it is now sitting on the substrate beneath the small fir tree sprig I put in (I am not sure if that is an acceptable climbing apparatus...we were in the middle of a thunder storm when I was rehousing, so couldnt go get a good bit of bark just yet).

Its body, not including legs, is approx an inch. Is that large enough to give it a little bottle cap for a water bowl?

So many questions!

Any tips and advice on raising a sling would be much appreciated!

boina

Lady of the mites
Aware that they tend to burrow. When rehousing from the little enclosure I brought her home in, I used my feeding tongs to make a few deep holes in the substrate, which baby has enjoyed hiding in.
This has me worried. You are aware that arboreal means they live in trees? I remember you made a thread before and @The Grym Reaper posted a pic to show how a good setup should look. They need cork bark to climb. Yes, slings often make shallow burrows under the cork bark that they extend upward with web, but keeping this species like a burrowing tarantula is completely wrong. But maybe I just misunderstood what you meant.

If the body is already an inch long this is not a sling but a juvenile. The only milestone still ahead of you is the maturing molt if it's a male. If it's a female it will just continue to grow.

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
Hi! Yes, I am aware they are Arboreal. And as I stated in the original post, my intention is to provide better climbing materials ASAP (ie, as soon as the rain stops and I can go hunting for some good pieces).

A couple of Follow-up questions for you! Does it HAVE to be cork? Or could this little one use other wood? I made a few holes in the substrate to burrow in, bc everything I read online said that this species likes to burrow when they are very young, transitioning into a more Arboreal way of life as it ages. And, you said it is now a juvenile and not a sling...when does it become a juvenile? Again, my last tarantula was a mature adult when I got her, so I am completely new to raising a t from such a young age.

Thanks for reminding me that there is a pic on my previous thread! I'll go take a look to compare!

boina

Lady of the mites
Hi! Yes, I am aware they are Arboreal. And as I stated in the original post, my intention is to provide better climbing materials ASAP (ie, as soon as the rain stops and I can go hunting for some good pieces).

A couple of Follow-up questions for you! Does it HAVE to be cork? Or could this little one use other wood? I made a few holes in the substrate to burrow in, bc everything I read online said that this species likes to burrow when they are very young, transitioning into a more Arboreal way of life as it ages. And, you said it is now a juvenile and not a sling...when does it become a juvenile? Again, my last tarantula was a mature adult when I got her, so I am completely new to raising a t from such a young age.

Thanks for reminding me that there is a pic on my previous thread! I'll go take a look to compare!
In general you can use all kinds of wood but the problem will be that it molds extensively. Wood is an extremely good substrate for mold if you keep things moist as you should. I know some people use driftwood and I have used wood from outside myself, but then you will need a very good and diverse microfauna in the substrate - at the very least get springtails, and plenty of them.

At what point you call a spider sling or juvenile is a bit of personal preferance. At 1" body length it should have well over 2" leg span. Since hatihati is not a large species that's something I'd call juvenile (my AF is about 4.5" leg span). You can see it also in the coloring - when it starts showing adult colors it's definitely a juvenile.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
The one subadult/adult i have raised up of this species prefers to be fossorial. It has deep sub as well as open space with cork bark, and it had tunneled down 6” or so and is rarely out. Perhaps this is because i keep her a bit on the dry side, or perhaps i got an odd ball. Either way, i would recommend providing plenty of dirt to burrow in if it so desires. All the slings i have ever kept burrow extensively as well.

I wouldn’t say that there have been any milestones aside from just outgrowing enclosures and as for surfacing, i imagine it does so regularly at night, as long as i am not there to witness it. i am lucky if i get a quick glimpse of her once a month or so.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slings of those speicies tends to burrows. I always kept Cyriopagopus and lampropelma slings like burrowers. When they getto juvenile stages i kept them like arboreals with corkbark tube ,but with much deeper substrate than i would use say for a Avicularia. Even as juveniles and adults, the ones i have had usally digs and sits near the substrate. They dont act like Avicularias that spend their time in the upper levels of the enclosure in a silk retreat!

JenniePennie

Arachnopeon
Excellent! I just ordered 2 cork bark tubes, and they will arrive in the next few days.

Currently, I have this little one in a glass jar with a vented top. Definitely not ideal. I want to make an enclosure with holes in the sides for cross ventilation. Where is the best place to find the acrylic boxes I keep seeing everywhere?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Excellent! I just ordered 2 cork bark tubes, and they will arrive in the next few days.

Currently, I have this little one in a glass jar with a vented top. Definitely not ideal. I want to make an enclosure with holes in the sides for cross ventilation. Where is the best place to find the acrylic boxes I keep seeing everywhere?
How big is it? You don't really want a sling in something that is bigger than like 5-6x the legspan of the spider either in width or height.

Paul1971

Arachnopeon
Mine is currently around 3.5" and still prefers a burrow despite having a cork tube/leaves, branches. Comes out most nights and sits at top of Cork tube but returns to burrow by morning or if startled or eating.

cold blood

Staff member

Cork tubes...ts like em, i hate em....theyre a recipe for a permenantly hiding t.