Cyber Monday Order Question

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
So I really had to take advantage of the cyber Monday sales going on. I purchased a B. boehmei because I figured I was missing a brachy for my collection, and to me it's one of the more stunning brachys. Now I wanted to keep my OW:NW ratio balanced and even so I ended up going with a P. muticus as well as I wanted a terrestrial because arboreal enclosures tend to take up more room (would've also liked to have gotten a C. versicolor, but I was too late and they sold out). My question regarding the muticus is that I understand there was a bit of a debate on how to keep these guys. I know they're king borrowers (pun intended), but some seemed to have trouble with them dying from dehydration. Some even recommended keeping on less substrate to prevent this and other people said to let them dig but make sure you get water to the bottom. I know they like it primarily dry as well, I'm referring to drinking water here. Both are slings & thanks for the advice and help in advance!

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Why would you even bother with a ratio...
Oh wait, it's an excuse to buy multiple spiders everytime isn't it :smug:......

cold blood

Staff member
Do NOT skimp on substrate depth!

Keep it dry except the deepest parts of the sub.

A proper fossorial, considering the deep sub, will essentially take up the same space as an arboreal....in fact I use the exact enclosures for both.

Enjoy the new ts....nice choices.

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
Do NOT skimp on substrate depth!

Keep it dry except the deepest parts of the sub.

A proper fossorial, considering the deep sub, will essentially take up the same space as an arboreal....in fact I use the exact enclosures for both.

Enjoy the new ts....nice choices.
Noted, I'll make sure to have it nice and deep. And this is true, although with the fossorial you have the luxury of extending that length out a bit which makes it easier to stack or fit on a shelf. You could do that a longer tank with arboreals, but they don't often design their enclosures that way. Either way, thank you for the advice!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Watch this video for another take on substrate depth. I rehoused mine in shallower substrate with much better results.

Tom Moran is a very well respected T keeper.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine's still a sling but I keep it with deep sub and use a syringe to put water down the sides of the enclosure so that only the bottom layers of sub are moistened.