Cut Glass vs Acrylic (in Canada) Enclosure Question.

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
Hi! I'm looking at building my own enclosures for my Ts and maybe just an indoor vivarium. I've looked at acrylic sheets for me to cut but it seems for a 36" x 72" acrylic sheet is looking to be around $150 CAD. Is getting cut glass easier and cheaper to get? If anyone in Canada that has the experience in making their own enclosure share their thoughts on this matter, please do!

If I were to get glass cut, what's a good thickness? Is 3mm thick enough?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Are you going to cut glass yourself? Because its not that easy. I thought 'it looks simple, I can do it', but no;P Without experience and proper tools it really hard and frustrating.
I build all my enclosures from 4mm glass, but I leave cutting to professionals. I send all dimensions to my friend who is working in small company that makes stuff from glass, they have cnc machines for cutting, and all the best tools, and don't charge much. I have everything perfectly and very precisely cut.
You should look for glazier in your area, and ask for prices. I think glass is way better than acrylic, only downside is that is heavier.

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
Are you going to cut glass yourself? Because its not that easy. I thought 'it looks simple, I can do it', but no;P Without experience and proper tools it really hard and frustrating.
I build all my enclosures from 4mm glass, but I leave cutting to professionals. I send all dimensions to my friend who is working in small company that makes stuff from glass, they have cnc machines for cutting, and all the best tools, and don't charge much. I have everything perfectly and very precisely cut.
You should look for glazier in your area, and ask for prices. I think glass is way better than acrylic, only downside is that is heavier.
I wasn't planning on doing it on my own. I was planning to get it cut like you said but im worried about the cost. I'll look into getting 4mm thick. Thanks!

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Glaziers should be happy to take your order. Because they can use and sell glass leftovers, that otherwise they would just throw away. You can use it to negotiate lower price;)

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
Glaziers should be happy to take your order. Because they can use and sell glass leftovers, that otherwise they would just throw away. You can use it to negotiate lower price;)
Thanks! Will look into them!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One of the big problems of cutting glass is having a glaziers table. Not everyone has a ~4' x 6' table covered with a pile carpet. Cramped quarters and things getting in the way of both you and the material causes a solid half of glass fubars.