Current Setup for my new babies!

MissOrangeHat

Arachnopeon
So I'm going to be getting two tarantula slings and a millipede soon. Haven't ordered them yet but will be either early this upcoming morning or tomorrow afternoon.

Here's my current sets up for my future babies (and my betta being curious of his soon to be new nieghbors).
They will change when my inverts grow and as my and my boyfriend's collection grows.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It would help if you could tell us what species your Ts will be and how big they are. :)

What are those white thingies? Does the bigger one have proper ventilation? Will there be water dishes?

The substrate looks a bit loose. Have you tapped it down properly?

MissOrangeHat

Arachnopeon
We'll be getting one Mexican Redknee (Size 1/4") and A Brazilian Red and White (Size 1/4").

The Mexican Redknee will be getting the bigger one, the white things being small water cups were buried as hiding areas for them. The small orange container will be for the Red/White, which will be upgraded to a bigger container as it grows.

The bigger container has a mesh lid/screen, full of ventilation. Water dishes will be added once the T's are added to the their enclosures.

The substrate has been tapped down, it has been moved around when adding the small cups (Theres 3 in the larger container, 1 in the orange container.) It's a coco fiber substrate.

My Red Sided Flat Millipede will be getting the blue small container, again will be traded for a larger container once it grows.

Both the smaller containers do have ventilation slots on the top and sides of the lids.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Those enclosures are way too big for Ts that size, especially the one for the B. hamorii (*). @cold blood has some nice pics of fitting enclosures. :)

Also, those hides should be open downwards, so the T will be able to burrow under them.

(*) Assuming it's a B. hamorii. ;) It's always better to use the scientific names to avoid confusion. ;)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
yeah 1/4" slings will walk right out of a kk...even if they didnt, they'd be lost in there...wait till at least 2" to use those.

I'd house both slings in a simple condiment cup...easier for your husbandry, easier to monitor and easier for the little slings.

boina

Lady of the mites
So I'm going to be getting two tarantula slings and a millipede soon. Haven't ordered them yet but will be either early this upcoming morning or tomorrow afternoon.

Here's my current sets up for my future babies (and my betta being curious of his soon to be new nieghbors).
They will change when my inverts grow and as my and my boyfriend's collection grows.
That's not going to work. As Cold Blood already said, your slings will fit easily though the ventilation slits of the KKs. Your B. hamorii will need about 3 to 5 years to grow into that enclosure...

Even if you put some fine mesh over the enclosure - you will never be able to find your sling in there. You will have a little dirt colored dot with legs - once it's in there it will be impossible to find ever again short of sifting the whole substrate and that's kind of defying the purpose of an enclosure. Since you won't know where it is you won't be able to feed it and your sling will not be able to find its food either, since the prey has so much space to get lost in.

MissOrangeHat

Arachnopeon
XD I guess we got a little excited for our babies. And maybe way over prepared. But we wanted our T's to be comfortable in the future...The very far future. But They do make good spots to place smaller containers.

B.Hamorri and Nhandu chromatus are what were getting, I do apologies for not specifying.

Went hunting for some smaller containers and I found four that might work.. (???).

Which ones do you guys think will work best?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Went hunting for some smaller containers and I found four that might work.. (???).

All of those look too large for 1/4" slings except maybe the one on top and the problem with that one is that it's not clear, you won't be able to see where the spider is before you open it. Your best bet would be to use condiment cups as Cold Blood suggested. If you do use the cups you can just use a pin to make ventilation holes, I poke holes from the inside so there are no sharp edges in the cup.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

So there's no condiment cup in that pic, and I'm not sure why after the sound advice provided by CB.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sorry, but I think they're still too big. For example, a good size would be the Betta food container, you have there on the picture... if it was clear one, of course. ;)

I definitely wouldn't want a container I can't see through. It's no fun (neither for you or your T), if you've to open the container every time you want to check on your T, believe me. And you will check up on your Ts a dozen times a day, at least in the first few weeks. :p

Where do you live? Maybe we can help hunt down the perfect sized container. :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the help, really appreciate. I'll be getting some of them little cups set up.
Condiments cups are not hard to find, they are found in salad bars at supermarkets. You can always order them from Amazon and elsewhere. This should not be turned into a major project ;) Raising your Ts to maturity should be ;)

MissOrangeHat

Arachnopeon
Sorry, but I think they're still too big. For example, a good size would be the Betta food container, you have there on the picture... if it was clear one, of course. ;)

I definitely wouldn't want a container I can't see through. It's no fun (neither for you or your T), if you've to open the container every time you want to check on your T, believe me. And you will check up on your Ts a dozen times a day, at least in the first few weeks. :p

Where do you live? Maybe we can help hunt down the perfect sized container. :D

All the way up here in Northern Minnesota.

But some time soon today, gonna hit up the local walmart for some of them cups and get them ready to go. Or go wander through one of the local grocery store salad bars and snag a couple of cups.
xD
Oh I was tempted to order from Amazon but didn't really like seeing of the reviews on there. I'm sure I'll find them easier at the local stores around town. (I live in a small town, aint too far to go hunting for containers.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All the way up here in Northern Minnesota.

But some time soon today, gonna hit up the local walmart for some of them cups and get them ready to go. Or go wander through one of the local grocery store salad bars and snag a couple of cups.
xD
Oh I was tempted to order from Amazon but didn't really like seeing of the reviews on there. I'm sure I'll find them easier at the local stores around town. (I live in a small town, aint too far to go hunting for containers.)
People give reviews of condiment cups????o_O:wideyed:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I keep tiny slings in like 4"x2" acrylic containers because I like the look. If I didn't have them in there I'd keep them in deli cups, however bigger ones than the people posted in the thread already (even if not completely necessary I still like to give them some extra room).